possibly a once in a life time opportunity for major wreck exploration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rick00001967

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hello everyone
i was going to post this in the "exploration forum" but it seems that section sees very little action.

i have posted previously on the boards about a project being run in northwestern Ontario that is focusing on discovering and promoting wreck diving as an opportunity to broaden the areas dive industry and give a boost to tourism on the north shore of Lake Superior.

we have finalized the drafting of the "request for proposals" which outlines the details to anyone wishing to bid on the opportunity to join us in what could turn out to be a world class find in wreck diving.

we have a specific area targeted that we have data confirming the existence of a large number of wrecks in deep water in the Thunder Bay harbor. we are looking for a highly skilled dive team to verify and document these vessels.

if anyone is interested in finding out more on this project please contact me here as soon as possible and i will provide you with the documentation and formal contact information. we will be closing the bidding Feb 26/2016.

S.O.S. Superior Chapter (formerly known as S.U.E.S. - superior underwater explorers)
https://www.facebook.com/sossuperior
http://www.divesuperior.com/

Rick have you located these wrecks? I had to jump through hoops just to get a permit to sidescan in Ontario waters and was still not able to survey. If not, I believe that Ken Merryman and Jerry Eliason would be more than happy to help you out. I know they really want to find the Leafield and Bannockburn.

How deep are we talking about?

there has been 2 government surveys of the area we are discussing and we have one of the reports and all the data. the second report still has not yet been located from the archives as i understand. we also have some data from local divers that at this point seems to confirm our hopes for this area.
this project is being run with the cooperation of parks canada and other parties so everything is above board and sanctioned.
funding has been secured to cover the costs and we are now allowing any qualified and interested teams to bid on the job required.
i am not sure if anyone has discussed any of this with Ken or not. i know of him but i do not know him personally. i would think he is well aware of what is going on up here.
i believe we are looking at approaching the 300 foot mark for the deepest wrecks. but don't quote me on that as don't have the report in front of me. there are some shallower. this is certainly not for the average tech diver. these dives will require a professional deep diving team capable of documenting all findings and presenting them to the group when complete.
thank you for the interest.
if you would like a copy of the "request for proposal" feel free to send me your email in a private message and i will forward you a pdf copy
rick

I would love to see the proposal. It's unfourtanate that we are way too far apart on the lakes. I would have liked to assist with sonar operations, but everything we do is on Lake Huron, MIchigan, and sometimes Erie. Are there any specific wrecks that you are hoping of running across?

email sent

i have stepped back from the group and am not currently an "active" member. but it was decided to NOT go ahead with further exploration of the area based on past reports that the group finally got their hands on. the risk / reward was deemed to be not worth it. too much debris, poor viz, entanglement hazards etc etc.
the group was supposed to continue with a "plan B" to create some national and international exposure to the wreck diving opportunities in this area but as far as i know nothing has come of it.
thx for the interest.

Back
Top Bottom