post all Sea Elite brand knowledge, information and experiance here.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My HOG regulators from there have been great.

Yes but they also make junkier ones like the XXXXXX second stage with a front cover that disintegrated on its own, in the box, after zero use.

You just quoted him. :wink:

I bought a covert reg set, but have not had a chance to dive it yet. It really does seem like a hog d2 (yoke) and classic second stage. The front cover is a normal silicone one. Doesn't look fancy, but is functional and soft / easy to purge.

The 1st and 2nd stage are great, even the orings in the port plugs are brownish colored viton orings - a great sign of what I hope to find inside when it comes time to service them.

I did not like the hoses at all though and opted to replace them without even using them. They seem thinner and more flexible than the normal ones I'm used to (also marked as 350psi I believe. Whatever is 50psi less than the lp hoses DGX uses). They are likely fine, but I would rather not find out the hard way.

I actually was pleased enough with the price that I bought a second set for my wife. The "tune" on the second set's second stage was slightly too loose (lightly freeflow when submerged unless the adjusting knob was turned 1/2 way in). A quick 1/8 turn on the adjustment nut inside and it was perfect. I could have dove it as-is, but chose to correct it since it was easy enough and someone else was going to be diving it. My first set was tuned up well already.

The "free" scout octo shares the same silicone purge cover (they are interchangable), but is otherwise completely different. It feels like a cheap toy in comparison to the second stage since the major bits are all plastic so the octo doesn't have much weight to it. It does have a dive/predive lever which is good. It is also tuned noticably harder to breath than the primary - which is preferable to me for the octo. Internally it is different as well, not a barrel that runs through the second stage casing. I'll take a pic and post it up when I get back from the next trip.

I chose to not replace the octo, it is "good enough" to give it a shot for the diving I do.

I ended up buying this at the time as deep6 was out of stock for quite a while and I didn't want to run a dinner/yoke adapter that is required on the dgx units. The DRIS house brand set was also a contender, but the price of sea elite was hard to beat. Even with the cost of replacing the hoses.

Also one more thing to mention is that divers supply won't sell a service kit for this to me (I am not a certified tech). Just something to keep in mind.

There are some stark similarities in appearance with the ODS product lines. Some subtle differences too that look like maybe produced somewhere else. the knobs are all different, most of the purge faces/buttons are different. Some the sizes and distinctive shapes are clearly the same. IDK, didnt get to dive as planned this weekend but next weekend looks better. I will write a nice clear and concise review on the regs after I test drive them. I only got them as a stop gap to get me in the water until I can buy the stuff i want. If they perform well enough for that, I will be happy and save them as a BU set.

Isn't it the Divers Supply house brand?

Home page

Sea Elite - Brands
yes it is, but other than the reviews on the sales page, there is little to no information about them anywhere. Ive never seen a product that has been around as long as these and has no YOUTUBE videos on it or no open source reviews from people that have used them.

Finally got try the regs today. Dry test out of the water, they grumble and drag like most do. Once wet, they performed very well, i have to say i was very impressed. they breathe very easily and very smooth. For the cost, ide say it would be hard to find a set of regs for this money that will perform this well. everything worked as it should and the most impressive thing is how easy they breathe. For $199 and free shipping ide say they will be hard to beat.

I bought 8 years ago a Sea Elite Scout BCD. It has now something like 250 dives, both in fresh and sea water. It has integrated weights.
Only a little puncture in the bladder solved with glue (not my fault).
So far so good. It works perfect still.
There was a recall for the valve springs. The recall came from HOG.
The only point to criticize is that the weight pouches of the weight pockets slide when diving horizontally looking down. The reinforcement in the pouches is too much flexible. I solved this with a thin stainless steel plate of the same size that I carry inside each pouch.
Some years ago I had to clean the Power Inflator valve, as the inflator valve was sticky and the BCD was inflating constantly.
I asked to HOG via e-mail the service instructions. They refused to send it saying that I should change the valve completely and it was not serviceable.
Someone here in SB sent me the service manual of a similar valve (Alliance Integrated Airway Assembly) and I could finally service it.
This left me a bitter taste in my mouth.
I was very new to scuba gear when I bought it. Perhaps today I would buy a BCD with a standard "K" Power Inflator.

Got a Sea Elite Scout BCD back in 2010 as a travel bcd. It has been to OZ, Grand Cayman, San Diego, Hawaii, and Fiji. No problems with it so far. It did raise a few eyebrows as "brand x" among the dive staff of mike ball expeditions on the barrier reef, but it operates well, folds into almost nothing, and weighs little. A good buy for the price and use.

Ive seen alot more info on the BCDs than the regs and everyone brags them up! I have not seen one single negative review on the BCD. I was plesently surprised at how well the regs performed. They breathe very smooth and easy. in fact, better than the rental gear I used in my class. and it was brand name stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom