• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Post cancer diving

Discussion in 'Women's Community Forums' started by carlaguardiola, Apr 17, 2019.

1. carlaguardiola

carlaguardiola Garibaldi

# of Dives:
    I was working as a dive instructor when I had cancer. Now my doctors says that I shouldnt lift heavy objects to avoid lymphedema but none is able to tell me if I can continue teaching or only dive for fun (assisted by someone else)
    Does anyone knows or has experienced this?

I have been treated with chemeotherapy and then a mastectomy and radiotherapy .

2. Kimela

Kimela Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Have you checked with DAN?

I don't have any personal knowledge to share, but I would assume that good self-care is in order. Hoping for your continued improvement.

3. Bratface

Bratface Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I have mild lymphedema and wear a compression sleeve. I haven’t returned to diving yet (I'm eight months postop and a cold water wimp). I wonder if I need the sleeve while diving.

As far as exercise, my lymphedema therapist said to wear one while exercising and flying. You should also avoid injury to your arm and hand. I suspect a glove might be helpful.