Post-Conception Disaster: what you learned & will change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So are you telling me that you sit in front of your battery charger every time you charge any lithium battery including your cellphone?

How many cycles do you have on your camera batteries? What's the highest temp they've been?

Without asking him, are lexvil's batteries cheap amazon chinese knockoffs? Or are they legit from the camera manufacturer?

In the battery charging danger hierarchy, smartphones/tablets/laptops seem to be on the low end, compared with the lithium ion batteries such as 18650s that are used in cameras and lights. Many cheap Chinese batteries and chargers.

I agree in general, and have taken comfort in that, but this cellphone of mine in the photo below was an exception....
Samsung Galaxy S7 Active with swelling case from battery expansion.JPG

How many cycles do you have on your camera batteries? What's the highest temp they've been?

You clearly have more time than I do. I couldn't tell you either.

And nice that you didn't address the core of the argument, that the expectations of liveaboards is a luxury experience to most people.

And I would bet that nor can most people with cameras and lights.

Are all your batteries genuine OEM?

Either OEM or quality batteries when it comes to my 26650s or 18650s.

Is it really? lol

Yes it is. The lower end liveaboards are the exception, go to a liveaboard site and almost all are $2k or more per person. They aren't the Waldorf, but they market to a higher end audience. And provide a ton of amenities for that audience including as I mentioned a ton of camera facilities.

Yes it is. The lower end liveaboards are the exception, go to a liveaboard site and almost all are $2k or more per person. They aren't the Waldorf, but they market to a higher end audience. And provide a ton of amenities for that audience including as I mentioned a ton of camera facilities.

As far as charters go, $2000 isn't very much money. People go fishing for a day on a 25 foot CC for that much money.
I'm not really sure you have a grasp on costs of chartering boats in general? Crewed or not.

I learned that most people don’t have a problem sharing their dive time with dozens of people. That scares me more than fire, in particularly when I encounter the “helpful divers”

I have done California liveaboards since the Conception tragedy and will go again once they start running post Covid. For me, the diving opportunities at outer islands are too good to pass up (i have my own boat but LOBs have greater range and go places with greater safety than i can on my boat).

I don’t see it. (of course, I don’t have to)

On one hand I totally agree that life in general is risky. I was blown away reading about the amount of accidents that happen in household bathtubs.

With that said, after diving out of my own boat, there’s no way I could ever go on a vessel with 30 some divers plus crew. I don’t care if they go to El Dorado and you can grow gills by diving those waters.

Maybe if the vessel was 150-180’ but wasn’t Conception less than 40’?

This pains me more than I can describe. Diving on the Conception and Vision are the best overall experiences I have ever had diving. Waking, having a cup of coffee and stepping off onto Farnsworth are some of the best memories of my life. Unless you dive California, it’s hard to explain. My experiences on these boats starting in 95’ rival Sipadan, Hawaii, Roatan, Coz etc. in fact, I prefer them to the tourists and cattle boats hands down. And it was just a skip away to Santa Barbara and Brophy’s for some chowder and a beer as a start to four days in my happy place. Tri Tip by Mikey and a beer with friends gazing at the stars. :cheers: Chatting with Andre and Brit in the afternoon. Maybe no one understands what I means by this, but my god I miss it. I hope that someone can bring this experience back to us. It will be a tragedy that only some will understand what it means to lose this access to this wonderland. You dive it because you love it and love to share it with those that comprehend.

Apologies. This is horribly off topic. I will still go on LOBs but will scrutinize things more. I will take precautions but refuse to live in fear. That is a type of death itself. YMMV.

I don’t know what’s your definition of a cattle boat.

I understand the magic and romanticism of nights at sea, working with the Navy I lost count of sunsets, sunrises, night ops short and long. Granted those moments had to be share with coworkers (some of them PITA coworkers) instead of a friend or a loved one, but having 30+ people in a small vessel gives me a feeling as romantic and magical as going to the DMV.

Obviously different people have different definitions of pleasure and it is a good thing.

As far as charters go, $2000 isn't very much money. People go fishing for a day on a 25 foot CC for that much money.
I'm not really sure you have a grasp on costs of chartering boats in general? Crewed or not.

Chartering a six pack for a day isn't the same as $2k per person with the boat containing sometimes 20 guests, often based in countries with lower wages. And $2k is the starting price in more budget areas like the Red Sea right now, the prices go much much higher. A Galapagos trip is $7k per person.

And considering their audience, again very likely to have cameras and lights, upgrading to comply with newer safety regulations is a cost of doing business. Granted one that would likely be passed along as an increase in their rate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom