Post Diving in Thailand - What island to visit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoobles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I (aged 36-45), are going to Raja Ampat on a liveaboard and were looking to find an island in Thailand to unwind after diving for about 5 days in November 2016. Normally we go on a liveaboard in Indonesia and then unwind in Bali or the Gili Islands off Lombok... But thought we would mix it up! So if you have been to the Gili's or some of the quieter places in Bali - that is what we are looking for.

My husband has been to Thailand for work (doesn't count - it was work), so we don't know much about where to go. Will be flying from Raja to Bangkok - so need the location to be accessible from Bangkok so we can get back to the USA from there. Ok with doing a boat ride or flight from the airport but not all day as we have been traveling from Sorong (so likely 2 flights already)

What we are looking for is:
- a small island with nice hotels, good food, and relaxing. Not sure on thai prices but 100-125USD max or so (but could do more)
- Ideally an island without cars would be best (i love renting a motorbike or bicycle and riding around the island).
- Not really planning on diving more, but may do one or two if it is good.
- Not crazy mobbed if possible.

Any suggestions in Thailand, Malaysia or Cambodia work :) We could fly out of KL or any other big hub too.

Thanks!

What about Koh Lipe? A friend of mine just started a dive op out of Sanom Beach resort and from everything I've heard it fits your needs. If you want I can connect you up with him. The island is small and off the beaten path. I don't know if it's closer to Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur but you can google it to get a sense of travel times. It must be about 1/2 way between.

R..

Since you don't need any quality diving, Koh Tao could suit your needs. Also the earlier mentioned Koh Lipe. Or how about small Koh Chang (Andaman Sea)?

Id agree with Koh Lipe or Koh Chang..i find koh tao annoyingly crowded and the party scene isnt my thing but it may be yours.

Or you could do Koh Rong in Cambodia and stay in a tree house at one end of the scale there are much more upmarket hotels appearing now I believe.

Koh Lanta might be worth a look - there are cars, but only one main road and still pretty quiet and chilled... To get there from Bangkok you would fly to Krabi airport...

Id agree with Koh Lipe or Koh Chang..i find koh tao annoyingly crowded and the party scene isnt my thing but it may be yours.

Or you could do Koh Rong in Cambodia and stay in a tree house at one end of the scale there are much more upmarket hotels appearing now I believe.
Koh Tao has lots to offer and a very nice vibe about it IMO. And I am also not into the party scene.

Maybe im getting old StevenL!
In the last 10 years or so I think I have gained as many years as you have :)

I do not like Koh Tao for the diving, but there are plenty of quiet places on the island and I do like the vibe, in spite of my age. Phi Phi is much more a party scene than Koh Tao IMO (but the scenery there is beautiful). November may be an issue weather wise there though.

But all in all I think for the OP Lipe and small Koh Chang sound ideal, but those places are not really easy to get to.

Koh Lanta would be easy to get to via Krabi. It is a big island though and there are certainly cars, but if you head to a southern beach you'd find yourself pretty out of the way. Another option would actually be one of the beaches north of Khao Lak. It is not an island, but if you're into walking along nearly deserted beaches and eating cheap on the beach it is hard to go past. We stayed (with kids) at Khao Lak Orchid in Dec and loved it. There was a smaller, simpler place up the road. If you got the itch to squeeze in one more days easy diving after your liveaboard, both those locations have pleasant dive sites, not far away.

Koh Lipe is probably what you're after, but depending on whether you're going to be there at the beginning or end of November, you could be impacted by weather. Just look into that before you make a decision. Sawasdee krub and have fun!

Back
Top Bottom