Post LASIK- How long to get perfect clarity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
To All Who had LASIK recently, PLEASE help!

I had my eyes done on Saturday (4 days ago), and although I measured 20/30 the day after, I am still experiencing "halos" around flourescent lighting and fine print at distance isn't yet clear for me. Things also become less clear to me as the day wears on..

The Dr. explained that different people heal at different rates, and the fact that 1) I am over 40, and 2) I had a very severe prescription (-5.50 on R and -5.00 on L eye) will determine how quickly I get "perfect" clarity.

My frustration is I have heard about people having LASIK and seeing "flawlessly" the very next day!
I know I am an impatient type (Type A) individual, and I do work almost continuously in flourescent lighting (went to work the next day) and also use the computer at work several hours a day..all things that probably don't help much!

On the positive side, I have NO symptoms, discomfort or other issues. But the "whites" of my eyes are still red/bloodshot and I have been applying ALL three types of drops religiously (anti-biotic, anti-inflammatory, and preservative-free tears)..

ANY personal experiences, advice, or feedback would be appreciated!
(Or, maybe I just need to "chill out" for a week and THEN re-evaluate!)

It's just frustrating when you are told the procedure went perfectly, but you are not "seeing" the results (yet)..
THANKS!

Had my LASIK in June 2001 late in the afternoon. Went home that night questioning my own sanity. Sat up for a while and tried to imagine seeing perfectly through all that antibiotic paste they smear over the surface of the eye following the procedure. Finally decided to just eat some chicken noodle soup and go to bed. Donned my little goggles and drifted off to lala land.

Woke up the next morning and my lids were stuck shut. Blinked a coulple times to try and get the tears flowing. Looked across the room (about 10 or so feet away) and could read the titles on the spines of the books in the rack.

Had my "day after" check up and I was a little better than perfect in both eyes.

Almost 5 years later and my distance vision is still a tad better than perfect.

I do have to wear a weak reading glass (1.25X) to read fine print in low light settings but other than that the vision is great.

'Slogger

Had mine done Dec 2002, my eyes still get tired later in the day and the vision gets a little blurry. I was seeing 20/15 the next day, still get some halo's when my eyes are tired. Also, one eye is 20/20 and the other is 20/15 and at times i question the difference between the two, I MAY have the other touched up. Freedom from glasses and contacts just for the last 4 years have been worth it. I have problems reading REAL SMALL print though.
Congrats, Jimbo

I can't speak for everyone but I had Lasiks 4 months ago and as soon as I stood up from the chair, I could see a lot better although there was definitely some haloing going on. In fact, that night I made the mistake and wanted to drive to the store. As I got in my car, I decided to put drops in my eyes. I then immedately drove off. As soon as cars with headlights started coming at me, I really freaked out and had to pull over and wipe the excess drops out of my eyes so I could drive. The next day the haloing was gone. Tomorrow is my 4 month appointment to see how they have changed from the first day.

Other than that, my experience was exactly as Mr Jim wrote.

Yes, just chill out for a few days.

I had LASIK done way back in 99. I went from -10 diopters with astigmatism to 20/30 vision. I also needed reading glasses. They tell you this will not stop the natural aging of the eyes and in the seven years I have degraded a "wee bit" to where I need minor correction for distance (i.e., driving), and I only need reading glasses for very teeny print. When I am tired, I do notice the starburst or halos on the lights.

Hang in there, it will get better.

Do you know what type of Lasik you had, was it all laser (sometimes known as intralase) or done with a mircokeratome (a traditional blade)? I work in medical marketing and I've heard there's a syndrome that can occur with All-Laser Lasik, it's called Transient light sensitivity (usually it takes a week to set in though) where you experience halos and extreme light sensitivity. Fortunately it clears up with Steroid use within a few months. If your symptoms persist, you may want to head back in to your surgeon for some stronger steroid drops. Let me know how it all works out. :D

Lasik date 1/3/06.
I did not see 20/20 until maybe a week after surgery.
I continued to have very bad night vision and halos for about 6 weeks.
I had dry eyes with slow improvement until now. Now I only need the rewetting drops before I go to bed and first thing when I wake up in the morning.
I am still sensitive to very bright daylight and am dependent on sunglasses when I go outside. I think this is improving and hope that it will continue to improve.

Overall, just be patient, your eyes will improve and within 2-3 months you will look back at this and think "why was I so freaked out? Lasik was the best thing I ever spent good money on!"

I had mine done sometime around the fall of 2000. I had the halos for quite some time after the surgery but they eventually went away. Just give it some time and things will get better, like you said people heal at different rates. I still get blurred vision now and again when the allergies kick in this time a year. Other then that I think it's the best money I ever spent.

I had lasik by one of the Bausch and Lomb research MDs here in Rochester, NY in August.

First of all, 20/20 vision is not, by definition, perfect vision. It only means that you can discern particular letters at a specific distance. It does not account for astigmatism or many other visual defects.

I actually have 20/15 vision in both eyes and suffer from episodes of blurriness and haloes, particularly at night. My uncorrected vision is actually not as good as the vision I had with contacts at nighttime. Despite this, I am pretty pleased with my decision to get lasiked, since it makes my life a whole lot easier (I accidentally rubbed out my contact lens at work last summer and had to go home and replace it).

Also - very few people have flawless vision immediately postop, even with the best laser and in the most skilled hands. Follow up with your surgeon.

Back
Top Bottom