Post-Soviet fins: Ukrainian models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David Wilson

Contributor
Reaction score
Forward to a country which was a constituent republic of the Soviet Union and is now an independent state in an uneasy relationship with the Russian Federation over its borders: Ukraine. We'll start with its "flagship" fin, the "Акванавт" (Transliteration: Akvanavt; Translation: Aquanaut). An "aquanaut" navigates open waters in the same fashion as a "cosmonaut" navigates space. In another thread I described the Akvanavt as "one huge shovel of a closed-heel, closed-toe fin, perhaps the kind you would have expected to be extremely popular in Soviet times if you hadn't known about the many style alternatives available there." I also expressed my surprise to find that despite their stiff blades they were very comfortable to wear because of their soft foot pockets.

Akvanavt
84190-jpg.395413.jpg

443851115.jpg

2247271.jpg
Embossed on the top of the foot pocket (second image) is the name of the fin (Akvanavt) and the manufacturer's logo:
Kievgumalogo.jpg

The manufacturer is Kievguma, literally "Kiev Rubber". The city of Kiev is the Ukrainian capital. The third image shows embossed on the underside of the blade the shoe size range (265-275) in millimetres and the now familiar national accreditation standard (ГОСТ 22469—77; English: GOST (Soviet State Standard) 22469 of 1977) entitled ЛАСТЫ РЕЗИНОВЫЕ ДЛЯ ПЛАВАНИЯ: ОБЩИЕ ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЕ УСЛОВИЯ (RUBBER SWIMMING FINS: GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS). This Russian-language standard still applies to all rubber swimming fins manufactured in Russia and Ukraine.

The Russian manufacturer YaRTI makes a replica of the much-loved Akvanavt called "Skat":
dsc02319_enl-jpg.395420.jpg

The Akvanavt comes in colours other than solid black:
138824111_1_644x461_lasty-akvanavt-38-39-r-kiev.jpg

swim_devices.jpg

swim_devices-jpg.401829.jpg

Glad you're interested... And yes, I have snorkelled in the North Sea using a pair of blue Akvanavts like the ones in the picture above. They have very stiff blades but surprisingly soft, comfortable foot pockets. I remember reading a comment somewhere saying that the foot pockets on these fins are even perhaps a little too comfortable. :)

Comfortable foot pockets are a must!
Couldn't agree more. There may be something in the Russian (and Ukrainian) psyche to the effect that anything enjoyable also has to involve a modicum of suffering. I just enjoy my personal odyssey in pursuit of the perfect fin that matches both my foot dimensions and my gentle style of snorkelling!

I love that you post on here as a "vintage Snorkler"... before I saw your tag I didn't think of that as a "thing". I am intrigued by vintage diving but not techy enough to fix old regulators, plus I love just swimming in the ocean with no heavy gear, so now I'm inspired to keep an eye out for the good old stuff...thanks!

Yes, Aquacat, I'm happy to call myself a "vintage snorkeller". I heartily dislike what passes for snorkelling gear nowadays, which seems to have been chosen by scuba retailers who treat snorkellers as downmarket clients. They don't understand that snorkelling is just as much to do with surface swimming as it is to do with diving below the waves. The plastic-bladed fins and silicone-skirted masks that have flooded the snorkelling market since 1975 are anathema to me as a snorkeller and I refuse to have anything to do with them. Each to their own, however, and I don't begrudge anybody else their own choice of gear.

Back to Ukrainian fins. In this posting I'll focus on the first of two "hyphenated Akvanavt" fins, both based on the original Kievguma Akvanavt fin discussed in the first message in this thread. First up is the "Akvanavt-Shark" (Cyrillic: Акванавт-Shark):
91a7403d90674846a68f764266f73574.png

gallery__153_139876.jpg

Curiously enough, this model has been given the name "Shark" in English rather than Russian or Ukrainian. Doubtless the intention is to make the fin sound more cosmopolitan. Note the open toe (the original Akvanavt has a closed toe) and the presence of eyeholes for laces. The second image above shows the foot pocket complete with shoelaces. This is the standard response in Russia and Ukraine to an undersized foot pocket and the only difference is that the feature is installed at the factory rather than left to the do-it-yourself community. Otherwise the fin resembles its shovel-like original.

I'll move on next to the other "hyphenated Akvanavt", the Akvanavt Super, which is Ukraine's answer to Japan's Biofin Uni full-footed split-bladed fin. A lot cheaper too!

David, it looks like the "Акванавт" foot pocket would press down on the toes a bit. Any experience with that?

SeaRat

443851115.jpg

You're right, John, I've just tried on my pair to make sure and the roof of the foot pocket grows harder towards the blade and presses down on the ridge of the toes. There's still ample room for the toes to move around at the end, but the contact between the ridge of the toes and the flattish upper surface of the pocket pinches the feet. I would imagine the constriction would be more painful when wearing thicker socks to keep out the chill. Kievguma may have been aware of this when they designed the Akvanavt Shark with its open toe and lace eyelet system to release pressure on the foot including the toes:
gallery__153_139876-jpg.402547.jpg

Many Russians and Ukrainians using the original Akvanavts would have conducted similar surgery on their fins to create a more comfortable fit, cutting down the top to create eyelets with shoelaces and cutting out the end of the foot pocket to create a toe opening. The pocket material is quite tough and would have withstood the operation so long as the eyelets were reinforced as in the case of the Akvanavt Shark.

Now for the other "hypenated Akvanavt", the Akvanavt-Super (Акванавт-Super). Like the Akvanavt-Shark, this model was introduced during the "noughties".

Akvanavt-Super
a9ffce9d395217fda0b0d2d72595976812aa0d10.jpg
10492_9031.jpg

The fins have unique features for Ukrainian fins: a heel tab to ease donning and a split blade. At Товары для здоровья there is a short article in Russian about the development of the Akvanavt-Super and Akvanavt-Shark. I've reproduced below a rough translation into English:

During the 2006 season, the “Kievguma” Open Joint Stock Company plans to enter the diving equipment market with three new fin models, the “first swallow” being a new model in the “Akvanavt” fin series called “SUPER”.

Recommendations by leading experts on scuba diving and consumer demand formed the basis for the development of these new fins.

“Akvanavt SUPER” is a modern fin design with a blade split in half down the middle, with dividers of water on the edges of the blade and with a toe opening and pull-tab, making for a comfortable shoe-type fin.

Split blades greatly increase the performance efficiency of the fins. “Akvanavt SUPER” fins allow the swimmer to reduce the burden on the leg muscles and the airflow rate by means of small rhythmic strokes, bending the knees. It is known that low stroke amplitude decreases water resistance and turbulence, allowing the swimmer’s body to glide smoothly. The closed-heel and open-toe foot pocket provides comfort and keeps the foot secure. The rubber blend lightens the fins by 200 grams. The complex has all positive changes giving the highest possible performance.

The first batch of "Akvanavt SUPER" fins was made In October 2005.

“Shark” is the name of the second fin in the “Akvanavt” series. This model is mainly intended for professionals. An advanced design enables the foot pockets to be unlaced and worn with thick socks. The shape of the blade improves the fin’s performance. Just like the "Akvanavt SUPER", "Akvanavt SHARK" will be made from a lightweight rubber compound.

The third fin under development is a model with a rubber foot pocket and a plastic blade.

All new models will come with a bag for the fins.

You can buy "Aquanaut SUPER" fins now in the "KIEVGUMA" company store (tel. 525-30-18).

I have a pair of Akvanavt-Supers in my collection and I've tried them in the North Sea. Not a bad product and a lot cheaper than my Apollo Bio Uni full-foot split-blade fins (now made by Gull of Japan), but I still prefer the latter for comfort and fit.

Next to be considered is Kievguma's "Skat" full-foot fin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom