Post travel ban restriction to Cozumel

What are your plans when the travel ban lifts?

• First flight

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • First week

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • First month

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • 2-4 months

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Late fall

Votes: 20 37.7%
  • Shelter in place until hell freezes over

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Except for the fact that Cozumel needs tourism to survive. If Coz does return to work starting June 1st, what's the point if there aren't any tourists?
Cozumel decision-makers put all their marbles in the cruise ship business. That is what keeps most people on the island employed. Until the cruise ships resume operations, there won't be enough tourism business to keep the current population gainfully employed. Regardless of what the governor opens up.

The cruise companies currently are saying June 27

That sounds optimistic.... Is anyone (who's thinking) going to get on a cruise ship this year?

I don’t think I will ever cruise again. Seeing cruise ships drifting at sea without a country or port that’s willing to let them disembark, being trapped with a virus onboard, knowing that if you stay onboard long enough, you’ll likely get infected, then being hospitalized in a foreign country - that’s all too scary for me. I wonder how long people’s memories will be though.

I don’t think I will ever cruise again. Seeing cruise ships drifting at sea without a country or port that’s willing to let them disembark, being trapped with a virus onboard, knowing that if you stay onboard long enough, you’ll likely get infected, then being hospitalized in a foreign country - that’s all too scary for me. I wonder how long people’s memories will be though.

Never have never will. Unless its a scuba liveaboard

My daughter's family enjoys cruises. I tried a couple and decided it's like a nice hotel you can't leave except in certain port calls with risks of sinking or at least getting hit by a hurricane. Now with this bug, if they booked one, I'd block their driveway and refuse to move.

Cruise ships have been in the news too often for mystery-ailments in recent years, for me to consider one during this latest episode.
Besides, I got the cruise ship thing checked off my bucket list, years ago, and while it was fun, that was enough for me. Coincidentally, this was a Cozumel trip, but not going TO Cozumel, but from it.
The week of the 9/11 attacks, Carnival offered rides back to the states for $149, and since September was the beginning of low season, anyway, I figured it might be wise to go home for a few weeks. So, me and a massage therapist friend hopped on board and sailed to Tampa, where she caught a plane home to Ct, and I rented a car and drove up to Ga.
I was very concerned that 9/11 was going to have the same long-term effect on Cozumel's (and the world's) tourist business, that we're seeing with covid19.

I was very concerned that 9/11 was going to have the same long-term effect on Cozumel's (and the world's) tourist business, that we're seeing with covid19.
But of course, 911 did indeed have long term effects on the worldwide tourist business and the two situations' root causes have virtually nothing in common.

Going by a number of recent posts and threads, it seems that (to paraphrase George Orwell), "some off-topic posts are more equal than others". :shakehead:
With good reason, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom