Post-TS Fred Updates from St. Croix?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regulatrix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How are you doing, Crucians and visitors? Let us hear!

Although I am not on island currently - reports from my neighbors and friends indicate that it was little more than a rain event - and not even very heavy.
It passed about 40 miles southwest.

How are you doing, Crucians and visitors? Let us hear!
Fred was a non-event other than rain and light wind gusts. I haven't seen any reports of any damage and life went on as normal other than a few businesses closed early.

Tropical Storm Grace is up next for us tomorrow morning. Currently track has it directly over St. Croix Sunday morning, but not predicted to strengthen to a hurricane before it hits us. Looks like more wind and heavier rain than Fred at this point.

Fred was a non-event other than rain and light wind gusts. I haven't seen any reports of any damage and life went on as normal other than a few businesses closed early.

Tropical Storm Grace is up next for us tomorrow morning. Currently track has it directly over St. Croix Sunday morning, but not predicted to strengthen to a hurricane before it hits us. Looks like more wind and heavier rain than Fred at this point.

Glad Fred wasn't so bad, and I hope Grace isn't either. It sounds like you've been on the island awhile; what was it like to live through the recent CAT 5 hurricanes and the aftermath, if you don't mind sharing? The more I travel in the Caribbean, the more severe weather events become "real" to me.

Glad Fred wasn't so bad, and I hope Grace isn't either. It sounds like you've been on the island awhile; what was it like to live through the recent CAT 5 hurricanes and the aftermath, if you don't mind sharing? The more I travel in the Caribbean, the more severe weather events become "real" to me.
We moved to St. Croix after Maria, so didn't experience that thankfully. However, we have heard lots of stories from friends and neighbors and hope we don't ever experience anything like it. The stories that stand out are those where people emerged from their homes after the storm and the color green was entirely non-existent. Every leaf, blade of grass, etc. was stripped by the winds. The positive side is that it sounds like people really stuck together and helped each other out post-storm.

Edit - And Grace has been a non-event so far. I think we're about 1/2 way through it and just some strong rain at times and a little wind. We must be between bands or in the eye now as we can actually see the sun and blue sky between the cloud bands. Storm is a little disorganized, so hard to tell exactly where we are at in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom