Post your aquatic wildlife sightings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finstotheleft

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've noticed several posts from various people wanting information on what types of aquatic wildlife divers are seeing in various areas. I thought it would be a neat idea to have a post where everyone just strictly lists what aquatic wildlife they have seen, for more scientific/research purposes, but also for the fun of it. No matter what the wildlife may be...shark, ray, plant...just list all the important data, such as:

-Animal/Plant name (as specific as your knowledge allows)
-Date and time
-Water temperature
-Associated activities involving the named subject
-Pictures if possible

All bodies of water should be included...lakes, rivers, ponds, quarries, oceans...wherever you dive

This will be great reference for college students doing research, career scientists, and anyone else with a knack for biology and conservation. Plus, it will be neat to hear what people are seeing! :D

I'll start it out:

-Sting Ray
-June 13, 2003, approx. 9:05 am
-3 miles off coast of Morehead City, N.C. at stern port side of wreck USS Indra
-Approx. 35-40 ft. depth
-Approx. 72-75 degree water temp.
-Subject was moving alone in an easterly direction.

Mola Mola aka Ocean Sunfish
June 20, Anacapa Island, So. California, both sides all three dives today
Depth 20-45 feet
water temp 62 F.

Darn things were EVERYWHERE today. First time I've seen any UW. Had students with me, and all were very excited! There have been a lot of jellies and salps around which are what the molas eat.

Neil

neil once bubbled...
Mola Mola aka Ocean Sunfish
June 20, Anacapa Island, So. California, both sides all three dives today
Depth 20-45 feet
water temp 62 F.

Darn things were EVERYWHERE today. First time I've seen any UW. Had students with me, and all were very excited! There have been a lot of jellies and salps around which are what the molas eat.

Neil

Wow, you're really lucky. It's definitely one of the strangest looking fish in the ocean.

June 13th
south Pinellas artificial reef (tug boat) Gulf of Mexico FL 45ft temp 84 viz 20.

The tug was sank about two months ago and this was my first dive on it, imagine my supprise when I droped into a shoal of Jew fish. I stoped counting at 17 another diver said she counted 23.

Back
Top Bottom