Post your best tips for the 2G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Any shooting or camera setting tips you can share.

I've used the 2G on about 20 dives and am now re-reading the manual from cover to cover trying to see if there is anything I can tweak for better results and to double check I don't have the camera set up in some way that is hampering better images.

I'm going to start shooting in RAW format. I shot everything in the FINE mode, both are the same size file 12M, but I'm going to see if I get better pics using RAW files and photoshop for editing.

I'm shooting with 2 110A flashes.

One quesiton I always wonder is what ISO setting do you guys use?

Looks like I have always been using Auto HI. Thoughts?

The 2G has so many settings on it and choices, I always wonder if I have the settings optomized.

Hi Mike, I don't have the 2G but I do have the 1G and they are very similar. I shoot ISO 100 in order to reduce noise in the picture. My other piece of advice is to program your adjust control to the functions that you use a lot. For example, I can change my focus from spot of multi by using the ADJ button. When I'm shoot a single subject then I use the spot focuts (this is really useful if shooting macro) but if I'm shoot wide angle then I switch to multi auto focus.

Regards,

Bill

Hmmmm, I guess I should edit my comments before posting them....a lot of spelling errors :).

Regards,

Bill

This looks like it's the beginning of a good thread :)

I have own the 1G with a single YS110a, but I think the settings are pretty much the same.

I used to shoot in automatic but switched over to manual since due to the slow shutter speeds at low ambient light conditions.
Like Bill, I also shoot with ISO 100, or ISO 80. Very seldomly I take more than ISO 200. I just puts in too much noise.
I shoot in the RAW mode even though it takes a lot of time. Guess you don't have that issue with the 2G.
The image settings are set to HARD- the pics are a bit sharper (but not oversharpened).
I set the AE metering to Multi and the Focus is set to Spot AF.

My settings 1 and 2 only differ in RAW and JPEG. Both is set to ISO 100 and manual mode.
The function button (Fn) ist adjusted to manual focus.
I rarely use the ADJ button but have set it to ISO, WB and image setting

I don't use the TTL function on the strobe- it doesn't work with the 1G. I use the manual mode (I wrote a "how to" in another thread)

Regard Paula

Interesting comments on the ISO setting. I've been shooting mostly with the ISO set on Auto. Doesn't sound like the way most are shooting.

This camera has so many settings, it's almost ridiculous. Especially since the manual only really gives you and explanation of how to set the, and doesn't go into much detail about why you would choose one setting over another, pretty frustrating.

Here are my typical settings, what do you think?

SHOOTING

Pic Quality/Size
F4000
Focus
Multi AF
Exposure Metering
Multi
Continuous Mode
Off
Image Settings
Normal
Distortion Corr.