Post your Boast! (Pics of your catch)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

California Spiny Lobster diving October 2013.
bug2013g.jpg

You're allowed 6 crayfish (spiny lobster) per day per diver and you can catch them 365 years a day.

Cheers,

Bert

Attachments

• lobsters4.jpg
    lobsters4.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 666
There's a huge discussion on spear board right now about amberjack and worms. The bottom line to me is they are very good to eat, the larger ones tend to get worms, mostly in the tail and back third of their body. I just cut the back third of the fish off and throw it away. If you stick with shooting the smaller ones, you may not have the worms. The worms are large, like the size of your pinky finger from what I have noticed. So it's not like you don't know if it has or not. They are very obvious when you fillet. Amberjack is one of my favorite fish to eat, white and flaky, similar to grouper!

oops. I thought I was posting this to a reply earlier in the thread about eating amberjack. sorry.

8/19/07

Stringer from first dive. Center hogfish was 19lb 6oz.

Left gag 21 change.
Awesome catch some huge hogs killin it out there!

Here's my 13lbr.. Santa Rosa Island....2004. Annual club trip every October with Truth Aquatics in Santa Barbara. Took home the money pot that trip...

I always have mixed emotions when I think about my past bug diving trips with Truth Aquatics... I felt that they were a quality, safe and fun operation.....and still do. I've slept in those bunks. RIP to those who perished in that horrible fire... My heart is with you, your families and also with the captain, crew and owners.

I have other pics of Lingcod, Cabezon, Kelp Greenlings and prolific schooling black rockfish...... but none of them are "impressive" from a photo aspect. One thing is that I never hunt for Lingcod or Cabezon Feb thru March. This is typically the "mating" season where the females lay their eggs and the males guard the nest. Also, I really think that the folks who shoot what they consider as "trophy" Lingcod, respectfully, may want to reconsider. A 50lb Lingcod is a female and is a prolific breeder. The meat on these big fish can be wormy and is not as palatable as the smaller Lings. It is difficult to identify gender in a similar sized fish, but in general my gauge is that the females are more block headed and the males heads are more torpedo shaped. As a self confessed carnivore who loves fresh seafood, I feel that as a diver I have an awesome opportunity AND responsibility to be selective and merciful so I embrace that. What I am getting at is that I will take two 15lb males over a 30lb female any day.

Now....I am probably a bit of a hypocrite because I'd really have been better off with 6 two lb lobsters than a single 13lbr...... but when you see that big dude underwater....... combined with some nitrogen, and knowing there's a big pot of cash on the boat........ it's really hard to resist...

94ZYGXz.jpg

Great local Dorado this season. Lots of boats out fishing and nobody catching anything with a rod and reel. We jumped in and picked the ones that we wanted.
PXL_20220905_201835665~2.jpg

PXL_20220905_172001017~2.jpg

Reactions: Ana
First gag I ever shot! Out of Clearwater fl

Attachments

• IMG_7236.jpeg
    IMG_7236.jpeg
    95.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7237.jpeg
    IMG_7237.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 41
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/