Practice for Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ACAS1207

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My GF and I are in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to Galapagos but want to go on a few other trips to 'practice' diving because I have read that there are strong currents and it's no place for novice divers. Can anyone recommend some destinations where we can practice diving in currents to prepare for this trip. We each have about 40 dives but, except for cozumel, they have all been in warm & calm water. Thanks.

Anthony

I would not worry too much. When I was there we had a guy who did his FIRST ocean dive in the Galapagos. And he did great.
What you should practice is to empty your BC and make a quick water entry with immediate descent. You will be backroll off an inflatable as a group and quickly descent to the reef. If you don't do this quickly, the current might seperate you from the group.

ACAS1207:
but want to go on a few other trips to 'practice' diving because I have read that there are strong currents and it's no place for novice divers.

You've already started to get some good advice, but more to your question: Tobago, specifically Speyside area.

Your desire to get similar diving is sound, but your question lacks details, Exactly how will you be doing the Galapagos? That information is key as to the conditions. Liveaboards vary from ship to ship, land based is different as well.

"Advance Diving" is merely one and more new situations presented individually or piled on top of the other.

Advanced diving in the Galapagos could mean:

-Negative entries (as mentioned above) with quick descents

-Ability to play the currents to stay with the group

-Recognizing a "downwelling" and quickly reacting to it.

-Understanding how to shoot your sausage from depth and waiting patiently at 15 feet for the boat to pick up.

-Handing your gear up safely, efficiently and quickly to the boatman, then scrambling aboard. Using up little space when on board.

-Surface signalling and rescue skills. Preparation for a very unlikely long float on the surface

-New thermal protection levels as well as weraing work gloves to grab onto the lava flow rock.

.... and a few hundred other things. I have seen relatively inexperienced divers do well, I have seen divers with 1000 dives (under varyingly different circumstances) need to be hauled out and toweled off.

Tobago offers small boats as well as lateral and vertical currents. Good experience, but even there- ask the DM for assistance and advice.

I'm actually not sure of details yet, this trip will be a year off or so. I'm sort of gathering info as to what skills I should sharpen to make my dives go smoothly. I had dived in Cozumel and wasn't entirely comfortable with 'playing the currents' and definitely have to practice a quicker descent. With this in mind I wanted to try some locations that might have some similar currents to Galapagos but maybe somewhat less severe. I'll check out Tabago & probably try to hit Cozumel again, if you can think of other locations just let me know. Thanks for the info, there are actually a number of things I was not aware that I had to know, for example what is "Understanding how to shoot your sausage from depth and waiting patiently at 15 feet for the boat to pick up."

Thanks,
Anthony

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom