Practicing Solo Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wear dive shorts. Pull integrated weights and put in pocket during the removal and putting back on. This works on the bottom. Have not tried mid water

This was similar to how I use to do it but I would tuck the weights into my wetsuit instead. Now with steel tanks I dive with no additional so I'm trying to think of a way to use the pony as my weight when removing BC. Haven't gotten to try it yet. It's a worry having no ditchable weights when I dive solo.

This was similar to how I use to do it but I would tuck the weights into my wetsuit instead. Now with steel tanks I dive with no additional so I'm trying to think of a way to use the pony as my weight when removing BC.
Haven't gotten to try it yet. It's a worry having no ditchable weights when I dive solo.

Uncfnp, right. This is what I'm wondering. If you have a weight integrated bcd or are diving steels with no weight belt then you have a problem removing your gear underwater. I've done it, but only when I was spotted by another diver. Not sure Id do solo yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi All : I recently got my SDI Solo Diver Cert. I'm curious how others practice their solo diving skills. What scenarios or skills do you practice? In what order? At what point in a dive?

I'm interested in becoming a better safer solo diver.

Thanks in advance.
As most others have stated, I don't practice thinking this is for buddy dives and this is for solo dives. For me, safety concerns and skills of solo diving carry over into my buddy dives. I will practice them at random on dives. And because I have long surface intervals between dives. I will also practice in my living room and in my mind, developing muscle and brain memory.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 11:26 PM ----------

Uncfnp, right. This is what I'm wondering. If you have a weight integrated bcd or are diving steels with no weight belt then you have a problem removing your gear underwater. I've done it, but only when I was spotted by another diver. Not sure Id do solo yet.

Unclipping the pony is no problem. I guess I could clip to the neck of the suit or around my arm but that would be clumsy. It might be best to sew/attach a ring to the suit just for this reason.

Enlighten me Dumpster Diver. You know you want to.

I've never taken a solo course. I've probably done thousands of solo dives. I have been tangled in line, many, many times. If it is not easily resolved, I prefer to remove the tank and take care of the entanglement. I often carry a floatline, so I always have an opportunity to get tangled up. others will say i am an idiot and they never get tangled and never need to remove their tank.

For me, I think anyone who dives solo is an idiot if they can not easily remove their tank, fix a problem and resume the dive with minimal drama. It is an absolutely critical skill for all divers, more so for solo divers..

Don't they teach this in a solo course? Fix your weighting problems with putting some lead on a belt. I prefer an elastic rubber belt, which ameiorates many of the problems perople have with weight belts. In my opinion, this is not a preferance issue, it is a safety consideration.

I've never taken a solo course. I've probably done thousands of solo dives. I have been tangled in line, many, many times. If it is not easily resolved, I prefer to remove the tank and take care of the entanglement. I often carry a floatline, so I always have an opportunity to get tangled up. others will say i am an idiot and they never get tangled and never need to remove their tank.

For me, I think anyone who dives solo is an idiot if they can not easily remove their tank, fix a problem and resume the dive with minimal drama. It is an absolutely critical skill for all divers, more so for solo divers..

Don't they teach this in a solo course? Fix your weighting problems with putting some lead on a belt. I prefer an elastic rubber belt, which ameiorates many of the problems perople have with weight belts. In my opinion, this is not a preferance issue, it is a safety consideration.

Good info dumpster diver. Thank you. I'd appreciate your comments on the posts related to diving steels above. I'm coming to understand that there is wide disparity between all solo courses regardless of agency. In trying to fill in gaps.

I dive a large steel tank and a pony generally. When in warm water and a thin suit, I can wear little or no lead. I can remove and replace the tank. It may be a little negative, but at depth the suit is pretty compressed and I am not that bouyant. You should be able to practice this. Also, you may want to leave a little air in the BC when you remove a negative steel tank. then it will be close to neutral. If you are close to neutral with the tank on, then removing it should not cause a huge problem unless it is very heavy or very bouyant.

Since my solo card, I have done about 100 solo dives in varying conditions including dive sites I have not dived before.

After a close call I have paid particular attention to sea weather forecasts, currents, swells, waves and the exit/entry points. Before a dive at a potentially demanding new site, I try to evaluate these conditions couple of times before actually diving there. Before the dive I watch the area for some time trying to establish water behavior and possible risk of changes. If I feel unsure, I thumb the dive and use the spare time to survey this or other dive sites nearby for future dives.

I have a rule of three minor mishaps and I thumb the dive. These can be however insignificant, but if there are three or more, it is likely to affect my stress levels.

I practise valve drills only occasionally. The other skills are part of my normal diving, solo or teamwise. I always dive with doubles. I earlier had a slideslung stage tank as well, but, now I take it only on dives exceeding 30 meters. A twin tank should be sufficient for all other mishaps except bad gas.

During the dives I monitor my own awareness level and diving quality. If I notice any sloppiness or fatigue, I stop and question myself about the reasons. Perhaps the currents and swelling were stronger than I expected. Or am I just tired or bored? Perhaps it is time to turn back.

After the dive I evaluate my performance and how well I understood the sea conditions. I also calculate my sac rate and try to estimate did it match the ease or strain of the dive.

r4e. Most helpful. I appreciate the emphasis on mental/situational awareness. I think that is absolutely critical. I spend a great deal of time above the surface evaluating the dive environment. Further I review the dive after. I think there is a very important mental component to solo diving. Thanks for posting.

Hi All : I recently got my SDI Solo Diver Cert. I'm curious how others practice their solo diving skills. What scenarios or skills do you practice? In what order? At what point in a dive?

I'm interested in becoming a better safer solo diver.

Thanks in advance.

I practice for solo diving by leading buddy and group dives.

I plan, navigate, monitor my own and all other divers' air consumption rate, turn the dive when turn pressure is reached, navigate back, make sure everyone maintains good buddy contact, is safe, and has fun.... all the very same stuff I'm concerned about when I solo, but multiplied because I'm the defacto dive master.

Solo diving is so much easier than leading a dive, but requires all the same skills.... but with zero stress.

Be aware of your surroundings and use good judgement, but other than that, just dive and have fun!

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom