Pre-dive/post-dive exercise and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ElGaucho

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read many of the threads regarding excercise and DCS here in Scubaboard. There is, as usual with DCS related issues, no conclusive answers. But the general consensus seemed to be that excercise before diving was good, while excercise (or strenous activity) after without an elapsed time was not a very good idea.

I am planning on leaving for a one month diving internship in Utila. But I usually do 1 hour bicycle every morning, plus some swimming in the afternoon, on one hand to keep my basic fitness level, on the other to loose some weight. If I do want to keep up my basic physical fitness (and I could drop to "recovery" base rate for the bicycle for example if needed) but considering I will be diving every day in an internship sort of rythm (lots of diving), is there any excercise I can contemplate in the mornings? I really would like to have some base miles, to not come back in square 1 again. But most of the articles deal with one time ocurrences of diving and excercise. I am interested in a long run, dive every day scenario, what my options could be while keeping it safe, DCS-wise.

Hello ElGaucho:

Exercise

As long as you perform exercise made before your dives, I do not believe that there is any restriction. Studies indicate that any micronuclei formed in the tissues will be compressed and squeezed back into solution. This, of course, refers to exercise at the beginning of the entire dive day, not exercise before each individual dive. The latter would then be exercise following the previous dive. That is bad.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hopefully not to tread on Dr. Deco's toes, but when he spoke to our dive club Tuesday night, his answer to how long to wait after diving before exercising was a minimum of four to five hours. Although he did not say it, I would think you might make that even longer if you were pushing limits on depth and time.

That sounds like a nice way to go. I can run and swim a bit in the mornings, and dive all day. Maybe I´ll skip the morning workouts if I had a "heavy" day (some deep dives or close to NDLs). Thanks for the advice. I can plan on keeping my waistline in check. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom