pre-existing condition insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

amb688

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I booked a liveaboard to the Galapagos over a year ago. A once in a life time thing. Last September I had a ruptured Achilles and had to have reconstructive surgery :( Talking to my surgeon at the time, she thought I would be ok diving by then but, here we are, a month and a half before the trip and I'm no where near 100%. DAN recommends 50% over the recovery time which means a year and a half after surgery. I think that's overkill but since diving in the Galapagos is no joke, I'm a bit worried.

The question is since I have already paid for the trip (Liveaboard/plane tickets etc...) has anyone had any luck purchasing insurance after the fact and get reimbursed? Of course both DAN and DiveAssure are very vague about their coverage.

I have not had a go/no go from my surgeon yet but I'm not hopeful.

Purchasing insurance after you know you need to cancel your trip just to claim the money back is fraud.

Sincerely ,

One who works in travel insurance.

Purchasing insurance after you know you need to cancel your trip just to claim the money back is fraud.

Sincerely ,

One who works in travel insurance.
+1. Your bad luck should not cause my rates to be effected. I guess I’d go enjoy the boat ride or try to sell the trip to a last minute third party. Ask the operator if they have a waitlist or if they will give you a years grace to use it space A on another trip.

Is there a problem with just squaring with the operator and seeing if they'll be accommodating to your situation and allow you to reschedule?

I realize this may not work with the airline, but honesty can't hurt.

Lots of flights can be canceled for no refund but rebooked within one year.

Canceling with dive op more than 30 days out should give you some small return on your money. Too bad you didn't cancel further out. Definitely find out your options with the company, as suggested above

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom