Pre-Season Phuket Report Part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonnieB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Pre-Season Phuket Report
October 2005

Keywords: Thailand, Andaman Sea, Phang Nga Bay, Phuket, Chalong Bay, SCUBA Diving, See Bees, Excalibur I, Palm Garden Resort

INTRODUCTION

I recently spent a week in Phuket doing day trips to the local dive sites in Phang Nga Bay. Over three, I dived 9 times, again with See Bees Diving on their boat, Excalibur I. It can say that all is still the same in regards to the See Bees boat and crew. (See my previous reports.) I again stayed at their affiliated resort, the Palm Garden, located a 5 minute walk from the dive shop in Chalong town. This resort has very comfortable bungalow style rooms in a garden setting, with a nice large pool. There is also an excellent restaurant on the premises. The Excalibur herself is in tip-top shape and the deck crew, dive-leaders, and most importantly, the cook, are all still in top form.

CHALONG BAY (AO CHALONG)

Chalong Bay town is a quiet little area at the south-east corner of Phuket. It is where most of the SCUBA diving boats are actually based. Therefore, if you stay in the immediate area, you save travel time to and from the boat for your dives (extra sleep in the mornings and sooner eating/relaxing afterwards). It is about 10 minutes from the Phuket City and Rawai areas; 25 minutes from Kata/Karon beach areas; 35 minutes from Patong beach, and 45 minutes from the resorts at Surin beach and Laguna Bay. The dive shops are located just off the traffic circle and up from the boat pier on Wiset road. The largest distributer/servicer of diving gear in Thailand, Dive Supply, is located nearby. Dive Supply has no retail outlet but if you need to buy some gear, replace a part, or have something repaired, the Chalong dive shops can often help you in an expeditious manner. There are also a couple custom-made wetsuit shops in town, so it is a good place to have one made if you need one.

Being a quiet small town, there is not the large variety of restaurants, bars, and nitelife found in the tourist areas of Phuket. In fact, that is its charm…at least for me. If you are in Phuket to dive, by staying here, you have easy access to your shop/boat and a quiet area to get your sleep. As to eats, Jimmy’s Lighthouse restaurant located a short distance from the boat pier along the waterfront road has a nice view of the Bay and decent Western style grub (I didn’t sample the Thai food). It is a nice place to relax at the end of a day’s diving. I have already mentioned that the Thai food at the Palm Garden restaurant is excellent. Along Wiset road itself, there is an excellent German bakery and also a bagel shop. One of Phuket’s original “British style” pubs, The Green Man, is located about 10 mins away. In addition, the new Central Festival shopping mall is also a 10 minute drive away. This is a full-service mall, with many “farang” and Asian food outlets, clothing and electronics stores, a grocery store, and a multi-plex theatre, etc. Yes, there is even a Starbucks!!!

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention probably my favorite coffee café/bakery in all of Thailand…Sunrise Coffee House, located right here in tiny Chalong Bay town. It is just a few doors down from the dive shops on Wiset road and open from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. By all means, if you are diving or staying in this area (or even if you are not), do yourself a favor (but not your waist) and stop by Sunrise for a nice cup of your favorite coffee and sample some of their wonderful baked goods. I can particularly recommend the sinfully rich carrot cake with sour cream frosting, the decadently moist chocolate brownies, and the lemon poppy-seed cake (again with sour cream frosting). The atmosphere is very pleasant and makes a great stop either before the dive day begins or for relaxing afterwards.

THE DIVING

General Comments

As I have stated before (see my previous reports), I believe that the dive sites in Phang Nga bay itself can be as rewarding as those of the Similian islands. What I mean is that the quality of the marine life can rival what one sees at the Similians. Certainly the underwater topography of the Similians, Ko Bon, and Ko Tachai can be breathtaking and the topside views of the islands themselves are enchanting. For sheer underwater drama, it’s hard to beat a dive at Elephant Head Rock or Richelieu Rock. The sites within the Bay have nothing close to rival them. (I am not including Hin Daeng/Muang in my comparison.) The opportunity for beach excursions and short island treks is also available to the Similians live aboard diver. What the Phuket day trip sites offer is easy access and many types of sites, including deep open-water dives, underwater pinnacles, a couple wrecks, several nice walls, and shallow sandy bay bottoms. Several sites are suited to nite diving as well. One conspicuous absence is a true “muck” dive site, however, this is not just absent from Phang Nga bay but all the rest of Thailand as well.

I have nothing against live aboard trips to the Similians and have done several of them myself. They can be a wonderful experience…depending on the quality of the crew, the amenities of the boat, and the knowledge of the dive leaders. I would recommend them for the intermediate-advanced diver looking to see some of the best diving Thailand has to offer. They can be good value too. The point I want to make is don’t forget about the local sites as well. No matter how you slice it, any live aboard is a beating. No matter how great the diving and the food, nothing can stop the boat from going to and fro in the nite. That, and the usually small quarters (even on the luxury boats), combine to make getting a restful nites sleep difficult. For me, by the end of a week of live aboard diving, I am ready for another weeks “vacation from my vacation.” For me, when you combine Phuket’s local sites, a great boat and crew, and a nice comfortable resort, you can have an underwater experience that rivals the Similians and also get a good nites sleep.

Excalibur I Boat and Crew

The Excalibur I is a great diving boat. A lot of thought went into her design and it shows. It is large (probably the largest day boat in Phuket) comfortable boat with a big dive deck, spacious lounging/eating areas, and large covered deck space for reading/sleeping. Plenty of storage space is provided both under your gear-up station and in a large dry storage room below deck. If that were not enough, storage cubicles are also available in the lounging area. There are 2 private showers and the same number of private bathrooms. There are also 2 outdoor showers at the back of the dive deck (stern). There are three rinse tanks, with one dedicated to cameras and computers. There is no compressor onboard (all tanks needed are brought aboard daily) so both the upper and lower decks are quiet. Nitrox is available.

The boat leaves port at 9 a.m. most mornings for the standard 2-dive day, and is back around 5 p.m. On Thursday (3 dives) and Sunday (4 dives) she leaves at 8 a.m. and the return is around 6 p.m. and 9 p.m. respectively. Return hotel transportation to See Bees (from most points on Phuket) is included in the day-trip price. The dive deck crew is friendly and efficient, most having been with the boat for many seasons. Divers are grouped by experience level and interest (photographers together) to the extent possible. Small groups are the norm, with 3-4 per dive leader. The dive leaders for this trip were outstanding…thanks Maritta and Chris. Both of these dive leaders know their sites well and have keen UW vision…invariably spotting the rare and unusual. Finally, it must be noted that the Excalibur has its own kitchen and cook and that all meals served onboard are prepared fresh. It must be said that the cook was in particularly fine form this past trip, with a selection of Thai and Western dishes that would warm any palate. Standard 2 and 3 dive days include hot breakfast and lunch, with post last dive snacks. On Sunday, with its 4 dives, a hot dinner is also served. So, when diving on the Excalibur, you are onboard most of the day and it is almost a live aboard experience.

October is still the transition season between rainy and sunny (wet – dry) in the Andaman Sea. I dived 9 times over 3 days…almost a live aboard schedule but done from land. By the middle of November, the dry season will have arrived in full and with it the high-season crowds. Conditions were generally good, with the first 2 dive days having generally clear skies and very calm (flat) seas. By the third day (Sunday), conditions had worsened somewhat, with light rains in the morning and some choppy seas. By mid-day, however, partly cloudy skies had returned and the winds/seas died down. It being a full-moon, underwater, currents were sometimes present, but nothing too extreme. Visibility was generally restricted, with most sites being around 10-15 meters…sometimes a little more, sometimes less and water temperature was a steady 29° Celsius.

THE SITES

Ko Racha Noi – The Plateau

This was a new site for me…a deep open-water site surrounding an UW pinnacle about 150 meters off Racha island proper. I was told the site is not dived often because of strong currents. However, it is these strong currents that bring in the big open palegics the site in known for. Apparently, Manta rays are frequent visitors (the deck crew reported sighting 2-3 at the surface during our dive) but unfortunately, we didn’t see any. The pinnacle is nicely covered in hard and soft corals. There was a large circling school of Yellow barracuda. Several giant barracuda individuals were also about during the dive. A resident Napoleon wrasse makes a home here, as well as large numbers of friendly batfish. I recorded a maximum depth of 24.6 meters and an average of 17.3 at this site.

Ko Racha – Banana Bay

This is an easy shallow sandy bottom bay site, with predictably calm surface conditions and minimal currents. There is nothing particularly interesting about this site…it has the usual tropical reef suspects. For some reason, many sites on this trip, including here, had loads of puffer fish…small brown ones to large map puffers. A bent-stick pipefish was a notable find. Several moray eels also were spotted. However, the star of this site is apparently in hiding from his/her fans…a yellow warty clown frog fish. I have seen this individual before and was hoping to see and photograph it again but the dive leader informed me that it has been “missing” from its usual spot for several weeks and nobody has found its new one yet. Maximum depth here was 20m, the average 12.2.

Ko Racha Noi – Staghorn Reef

This is another shallow sandy bottom site, with scattered rocks and hard corals and large fields of Staghorn coral. At first look, this site can seem rather barren, but in the company of a knowledgeable and sharp-eyed dive leader, many gems can be seen. Moray eels like to twist themselves up in the branch-like Staghorn coral. As the coral is on a sandy bottom, this makes it easy to see the entire body of the eel and not just its head. I saw 3 morays on this dive and 2 were gracefully free swimming. A couple of Yellow boxfish were also spotted. At one spot, there is also a rather large cave-like grotto and if you approach slowly, you may spot one of the two resident giant groupers who make it their home. As I was at the front of our group, I was lucky to spot one before it retreated into its lair. Again, an abundance of puffer and porcupine fish were seen.

Shark Point

This is another open-water site with several underwater pinnicles. It is another highly rated site and I had the opportunity to dive it twice during this trip. You are almost guaranteed to see one or more of its namesakes here…Leopard sharks. I saw them on each dive of this trip, along with a small Bamboo shark in a crag in the rocks. The Leopard sharks are usually resting on one of several sandy bottom areas and are quite tame and generally allow divers to approach very close. The ones on this trip were medium sized at about 1½ meters. I have seen individuals up to 2½ meters at this site. This site usually has some current and visibility is very variable. If it is good, this is quite a pretty site, alas, this early in the season, it was still rather low at 3-5 meters. However, there was still a lot to see, including white-eye morays, another large grouper, schooling barracuda, a blue-spot stingray. Another highlight was coming upon a large school of squid hovering in the water at about 15 meters. They stayed put in the water and I was almost able to drift up next to them. Seeing them this close was a fun experience

Anemone Reef

This is my favorite site in the Bay and ranks pretty high up on my list of Thai, and even S.E. Asian, dive sites. It is a series of underwater pinnacles surrounded by sandy and rocky bottom. This site can also have fairly strong currents but they were not so strong this time. Visibility was not the best at 5-7 meters…but it is still a beautiful site with several of the pinnacles, at around 6-8 meters, completely covered in anemones and attendant anemone fish. The often strong currents bring in nutrient rich water and the resulting variety of marine life at this site is spectacular. On this trip, I was fortunate enough to have two first sightings: (1) a zebra moray eel and (2) a beautiful white ghost pipefish. The shy zebra moray was deep inside a hole in a rocky outcropping, while the rather large (8 cm) ghost pipefish was perfectly camouflaged near some white-colored coral. Two sea snakes were also seen free swimming and slithering along the reef…one was maybe a meter in length and the other about half that. Several rather large scorpion fish were attached to the reef surface in various odd positions. A tired hawksbill turtle was taking a snooze in a crevice in the reef…a spot I was told to which it often retires to on such occasions. I also happened to spot, just before I placed my hand on it to steady myself to view the turtle, what appeared to be a true dwarf scorpion fish (not a juvenile). It was multi-colored, about 5 cm in size, and perched in amongst the anemone garden. If that was the case, it would constitute a 3rd first sighting for this site. So what more could one ask for in one dive…a turtle, several sea snakes, ghost pipefish, dwarf scorpion fish, and the other usual suspects. I have never been disappointed on a dive at this site.

Phi Phi Island – Ko Bida Nai & Bida Noi

These are two sites very close to Phi Phi and about the farthest you can go from Phuket on a day dive…it is in the middle of Phang Nga bay. These are generally easy dives, with several walls and sandy bottom areas, with minimal currents. Another resting Leopard shark was seen, along with more schooling yellow barracuda. Again, we were very lucky to spot a pair of ornate ghost pipefish. The pipefish are seasonal residents of the Bay and luckily appear during the high-season (November to May) and then mysteriously disappear…nobody knows where they go for the other half of the year. Many lionfish and a Pharaoh cuttlefish were also observed.

Flower Island - Ko Doc Mai

The forth dive on Sundays is a nite dive, usually along the wall (the eastern side I believe), at Ko Doc Mai. This time, however, the dive was on the western side of the island. I believe this may have been because of the stronger currents on the other side that nite. The western side is partly wall and slopely bottom, while the eastern side is a sheer wall. The currents were running pretty strong during the dive and visibility was low. On past dives, many types of eels, lionfish, scorpion fish, and even a seahorse have been seen here (on the eastern side). However, on this nite, it was mostly invertebrates, with many shrimp and crabs on the menu.

Conclusion

This was a very promising start to the Andaman Sea season. The variety and quality of the marine life seen on this trip was very high. Though visibility was generally restricted, this should only improve as the season gets in full gear.
I encourage all divers visiting or residing in Thailand to get out their suits and jump-in and enjoy the sites in Phang Nga Bay these next 6 months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom