Predator, suitable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of his concerns was frequently opening the battery compartment. That rechargeable won't last as long as a SAFT, which will require more opening.
Fair enough. If the SAFT at 2450 mAh last 4 months then these 1200 mAh batteries should last 2 months, changing batteries every 2 months should be ok?

https://www.amazon.com/Rechargeable...&qid=1535558034&sr=1-9&keywords=14500+battery

I don't really trust the ratings on those no-name brands though, the Orca batteries I use are rated at 700 mAh and came with 800 and after 3 months of pretty hard use are all still above 750. Only manufacturer I have found who understates their batteries.

Even mine will be good for probably a month or so of diving.

One of his concerns was frequently opening the battery compartment. That rechargeable won't last as long as a SAFT, which will require more opening.

the rechargeables are around 1/3 of the capacity of a SAFT so it's not all that different.

@RainPilot 700mah is all I would count on, and I would NEVER buy any battery that has "fire" in the name, they're the ones that like to actually light themselves on fire....

I have a few 18650 ultrafires and they haven't burned the house down. Yet. That said, rating on them is rubbish and one pair is on its way out already, after a couple of years of light use. So if you have to replace/recharge them every month those 14500 ultrafires will maybe last more that one dive season. Emphasis on maybe.

The rechargeables don't last as long as the SAFT's do, but I'm not sure about the whole tissue clearing thing. SAFT's are cheap enough that if I'm doing a week or so of diving I'll use one, but if I'm only doing a couple days, I'll use the rechargeable LS14500's.

If you're looking for another Predator, I've got one I'm selling.

Thank you for highlighting this.

While I hate the waste of disposables, battery life is significant.

Sounds like I might get fast enough to save the tissue loading. I'm glad of this.

Now about the 3 to 1 reduced battery life, here's a wordy stab at explaining why it is important to me. (From a wilderness film makers background and how we handle battery life)

Battery life estimate:
Dive Set #1 9/9th battery life
Set #2 6/9th battery life
Set #3 3/9th battery life
Change battery for safety margin

Set #4 9/9th battery life
Set #5 6/9th battery life
Anticipated a dirty location, change preemptively before expedition.

Set #6 9/9th battery life
Set #7 6/9th battery life
Anticipated dirty location, change preemptively before expedition.

Set #8 9/9th battery life
Set #9 6/9th battery life
Rinse and repeat.

While with 3x the battery life, it's still on the first battery with ~50% capacity remaining and the whole time with a larger safety margin.

A battery that lasts 3x longer on paper results in ~8x less battery changes if you're unable to change batteries when THEY need changed and need to be preemptive.

I appreciate with more dry days and returning to clean environments frequently l the battery life thing isn't an issue to most divers. Swap them out on the weekend or on the dive boat and keep going. However, on my wishlist it's significant.

On the other hand, it's easier to recharge a battery than drive the ~800 miles to the closest place that sells STAFT batteries, or wait the 9 + days (normally 12 business days for priority overnight delivery) for shipping.

Thanks for helping me think through the battery options!

...The petrel is sounding like a nice upgrade I have to admit.

Cameron

With all that, it seems the Teric and the wireless recharging more suitably matches your "missions"......

it is just the capital that make is a challenge....

A large "power brick" and a wireless pad gives you all the "on the fly" topping off.

YMMV

With all that, it seems the Teric and the wireless recharging more suitably matches your "missions"......

it is just the capital that make is a challenge....

A large "power brick" and a wireless pad gives you all the "on the fly" topping off.

YMMV

I certainly agree!

To follow up. I'm enjoying the Shearwater experience.

The fresh Saft LS14500 battery lasted just under a month of intermittent diving on low brightness, only used underwater.

The day the battery died was the day a kind SB member hand delivered new pair of Sanyo 840mah rechargeables.

Perfect timing.

Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom