Predator Version 36

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater

Contributor
Reaction score
We are pleased to announce the Version 36 firmware update for the Predator.

Note that you must upgrade to the transition version first, then upgrade to Version 36. Significant reorganization was required to prepare for future changes. (Beta testers can go right to 36. And thanks guys and girls.)

Please read the complete release notes here, but some of the highlights are:

*Optionally, be able to turn gases on and off. If you leave this disabled, it will continue to work as before.

*Ability to set last stop to 20ft(6m) or 10ft(3m)

*A bar under the second hand that graphically displays seconds.

*Ascent rate bar graph is moved next to the depth (where it always should have been.)

*Suggested gas switches are now yellow instead of flashing red.

*Improved semi closed operation

*New warnings that come and go with the situation but require only one acknowledgement

*Nicer fonts

and lots more.

Have fun with it.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce - I'm diving the Quarribean this weekend, so I'll get to test it in a "controlled" environment. I've liked the evolution of the software so far, can't wait to see how this looks.

Bruce,

I'll be diving this weekend off Myrtle Beach , SC and will have a chance to try out the update. Based on the release notes this looks like a great update and I can't wait to see how well it performs.

And now the we can select our last stop depth at 10 or 20 feet I'd like to request an enhancement to this function for some future version. Having a 15 foot last stop option would be a great addition for those of us who dive off boats and need to do our last stop at 15 feet.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Last edited:
Did my first dive with the new software (rev 37). Very nice. I really like the assent bar next to the depth. Very easy to read. Didn't get it through its full paces, but will be in Key Largo next week doing lots of diving.

As with the past updates, this one made a great computer even better!

Diving with the updated software in Key Largo was great. This was a purely recreational trip, so I didn't approach deco on any of the dives, but the new software operated great. I like the new ascent bar next to the depth and the hash marks under the TIME word make it a little easier to time stops. Since I was diving mostly air, but Nitrox on the deep dives, it was very convenient to be able to turn the air "off" and other mixes "on" without having to remove the mix from list of gasses. Of course, the dive after my first Nitrox dive I got in the water and noticed it was still set to 30%. A couple clicks and it was back on air. Really love the ability to change the computer under water.

Keep up the good work.

Hey ya'll. I'm totally new to dive comps and am in the market for one and have some questions about the Predator.

#1 Is this comp's algorithm considered conservative? If so, what brands/models would you suggest for less conservative diving

#2 Is it possible to purchase the OC model already fully upgraded? If so, is there a price increase?

#3 How long are shipping times this time of year? I live on Utila and am only in the states until the middle of January. Shipping to Honduras is sketchy (might never get it) and takes about a month or 2, if you're lucky so that's not an option for me.

#4 In yalls experience buying and selling comps, would it be a good idea to buy the PROCTE over the PROT for resale purposes later on when they come out with the next great thing?

Hi Kelly,

The Predator is primarily a technical diving computer. We don't penalize divers or lock them out for any reason. Our standard algorithm is Bulhmann with Gradient Factors conservatism. Users have the option of setting their preferred GF. In this way, the algorithm can be adjusted. Alternatively, we now have the VPM-B algorithm available for purchase from any of our dealers.

Our entry level computer (PROT-SA $1145 CDN) is OC trimix with no fischer connector. The next model is also closed circuit enabled (PROCT-SA $1345 CDN). The OC unit can also be upgraded to CC in the field with an unlock code which can be purchased from our dealers for $200 CDN.

We currently have stock of all units and are shipping next day. All of our shipping into the US is overnight which includes customs clearance.

I would base my purchase decision on the style of diving I am doing now and am likely to do in the near future. For most people starting technical diving, I would recommend the PROT-SA. If in a couple of years you move to a rebreather, you can upgrade to the PROCT-SA with an unlock code. That would be a great back up computer on a rebreather which will likely have a primary PO2 monitor/controller hardwired into the system.

Regards
Lynn Partridge

Thank you, Lynn. I'll be giving you guys a call after Christmas as I have 2 teenage daughters to take care of for Christmas. My Christmas is always late, lol.

Back
Top Bottom