Predator vs Petrel (on used rEvos)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

azstinger11

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

looking at used rEvos for our entrance into the CCR world (for now let’s leave the choice of CCRs out of this thread :stirpot:) . We have seen a few with predators instead of a Petrel. While I have two shearwaters already and love the customer support a bit apprehensive about getting something no longer actively sold/supported.

It seems like the Predators are larger, OLED instead LCD screen, SAFT battery only, and limited memory? Any other big things I’m missing? Any other reason(s) as a dedicated CCR computer I’d be limited/displeased?

Hi all,

looking at used rEvos for our entrance into the CCR world (for now let’s leave the choice of CCRs out of this thread :stirpot:) . We have seen a few with predators instead of a Petrel. While I have two shearwaters already and love the customer support a bit apprehensive about getting something no longer actively sold/supported.

It seems like the Predators are larger, OLED instead LCD screen, SAFT battery only, and limited memory? Any other big things I’m missing? Any other reason(s) as a dedicated CCR computer I’d be limited/displeased?
The battery holster on the Predator isn’t the most resilient thing in the world. If you go that route, be careful when replacing batteries.

The battery holster on the Predator isn’t the most resilient thing in the world. If you go that route, be careful when replacing batteries.

Like break the plastic fragile or likely to induce a flood from an o-ring getting out of place fragile?

Just get the Petrels. They are not that much more expensive used, and will hold their value. The Predator is good computer but is an old design that feels it's age. The battery guage is very flaky. The buttons have a habit of failing in old age. You need a dental pick to pull out the battery holder safely. You can use it to keep your car from rolling during a tire change.

Just get the Petrels. They are not that much more expensive used, and will hold their value. The Predator is good computer but is an old design that feels it's age. The battery guage is very flaky. The buttons have a habit of failing in old age. You need a dental pick to pull out the battery holder safely. You can use it to keep your car from rolling during a tire change.

Right now not seeing any used units come up the combo of tech I want, a few have come up with everything I want but with Predators instead of petrels. Upgrading would be relatively expensive but sounds like would ultimately be a good idea.

I used a Predator/Fischer on my rEvo for several years, no issues. As stated be careful changing batteries. When ordering SAFT batteries not all are made equal---chinese crap is available.

Right now not seeing any used units come up the combo of tech I want, a few have come up with everything I want but with Predators instead of petrels. Upgrading would be relatively expensive but sounds like would ultimately be a good idea.
The predator is fine. Besides breaking the battery wire and age related cracks at the mounting holes of the screen there is not much to go wrong. The screen can be replaced for about $100

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom