Preferred currency?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_spot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ill be in PDC at the begining of May and wonder which currency is preferred there?

Obviously Pesos are the "proper" currency, but on my trip to PV I found that USD almost seemed preferred- mind you this was 6 years ago?

Will I find better bartering power with Pesos or USD?

I would carry both and play the exchange rate game with the merchant. Settle on a price in dollars for what you what and then ask for the price in Pesos. Do some quick math in your head and see what the best deal is and go with that currency.

That works well with US dollars, for some reason, the PDC locals always discount Canadian dollars. It may be that they are used to the CD being worth less than the USD or that they are harder to exchange. The last time we were in PDC, the CD and USD were trading close to par but the cambios were discounting the CD by 10-20%.

I don't know about the Canadian dollar, but we were just in PDC and Akumal and found it was generally better to pay in pesos than dollars. There wasn't too much of a difference, but the exchange was 13.8 to 14.2 at the ATM and most places were exchanging at 13.2 if you paid in dollars. We didn't have a problem using US $ when we were out of pesos.

best is to bring dollars do not exchange them in the US or Canada, banks are the best option, do not go to exchange places like the airport, go to banks it is the best exchange rate, also, the convinience stores like walmart pay a lot for the usd but do not try to change a 100 bill there....

My wife and I spent 2 weeks in PDC in March and we never used dollars. We found things were a little bit cheaper in pesos. There are a couple Scotiabanks in PDC as well that have ATM's that give you the best exchange rate. Nobody likes taking Canadian dollars.

ok one last series of questions before I go.(14 day, not that I'm counting)

I understand 5th is the "tourist" place to go for a walk and shop. Correct?

Im looking for metal (knives) and wood (carving) artisans. Will I find these type of places on 5th? Ive looked online and not found much.

I collect art knives and like to pick up modern pieces with local flair (a handle made from local wood or bone) A nice piece can cost me a few hundred dollars, but I would like to research before I buy. And knowledge of specific artists or shops I should check out?

When we checked in, a week ago, the hotel front desk was exchanging USD at 13:1. Today it's 12.5:1. The little bit that I noticed around town, the rate was always less.

I like to use the currency of the country I'm in.

PH

The wooden mask carvings are very common and they are made by local artisans. I don't believe they have any intrinsic value relating to the Mayan or Mexican culture. They are more a mass produced item for tourists. Having said that I still have bought several as gifts and have a large one hanging in the livingroom of my condo. The vendors are likely going to ask $75US for the larger ones but don't pay any more than $50. The small ones $30 is a fair price. Be prepared to haggle - and prepared to walk away. I'm not sure about the knives. I think there may be a shop that sells them as well as swords. You might try the jewellery shops as well. I know you can find them in Cancun.

ok one last series of questions before I go.(14 day, not that I'm counting)

I understand 5th is the "tourist" place to go for a walk and shop. Correct?

Im looking for metal (knives) and wood (carving) artisans. Will I find these type of places on 5th? Ive looked online and not found much.

I collect art knives and like to pick up modern pieces with local flair (a handle made from local wood or bone) A nice piece can cost me a few hundred dollars, but I would like to research before I buy. And knowledge of specific artists or shops I should check out?

La Quinta is the main tourist street in PDC.

I have never seen the type of knives you are looking for in PDC, but I wasn't really looking for them. Be aware that most of what is for sale is imported these days. A friend of ours bought a belt from one of the shops near the ferry pier that was promised to be made by local craftsman. She found the exact same belt in the shop that imports from Bali for a third of what she paid for it. First lesson, know exactly what you are buying and the second lesson is that the further you get from the ferry pier the better off you will be.

when dropping that kind of cash, I am always careful (why I dont buy online)

Its a real knife that is sharp enough to shave with - but pretty enough to be put in a locked display case.

I prefer to buy from the makers themselves as I have questions about the materials used - I might come up empty but who knows.

Back
Top Bottom