Prejudice against solo divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
I never encounter any, anywhere.

At first certain people would point out the risks, the things that could happen, but once they decided I was aware...they have never said another word.
Or did they stop pointing out risks to you because they figured it was just a waste of their time? :)

I haven't encountered any sort of hostility or prejudice either.

I have seen a case where two guys decided to split up as soon as they hit the water, and the Captain did give them some grief for it. IMO, that wasn't a case of prejudice against solo divers.
If I agree to the "no solo" rules of a boat, and then ignore them, I'd expect to get some flack ---- not because of being a solo diver, but because I didn't do as I agreed.

Nemrod:
Yes, I run into it on dive boats often. I had a life guard once ask me where my buddy was as I emerged from the water. I looked at him and waved, out there somewhere, got in my car and left. They are probably still looking for him. I don't know, people, including the authorities need to mind their buisness sometimes. N
nice story ,putting a smile in my face :D

Interesting post!
I dived Laguna Beach in Ca. where solo is not allowed.
Never got caught by anyone who cared. One guy caught me and asked where's my buddy and I said, right here, pointing to my pony.
He said "I don't blame you!"
Great spot for solo diving!! Easy getting in, nice deep crack through the rocks (like cave diving, but with an open ceiling) and modest currents. Also depth maxes out aroud 50-60'

Although solo is strictly prohibited at the site where I usually dive many people are doing it and everybody knows about it. General private rules for those who does solo are to have redundacy, do not dive solo in front of OW studens groups and when dive site manager or one of the board members around. Sometimes couple of solo divers just get in and out together but separate right after descent. Of course the board doesn't recognise SDI Solo diver c-card.

My solo diving experience is a river dive, 40' max, and I always let my usual dive buddy know (I solo'd when he can't for whatever reason).

HOWEVER, I did experience "the walk of shame" from Divetech at CC in Grand Caymon last May when I did a solo dive off the beach in front of their resort. It was late afternoon and my buddy wanted a beer, there was a light rain falling - no wind or chop - and I wanted to dive. I told him the time I would return and we discussed my dive plan (go out make a square and come back). It was my first ocean dive and it was SPIRITUAL!!! Great viz, no current, seeing all that life and the drops of rain on the surface. Amazing. I was the only diver out on the reef and the entire 1 hr. 15 min dive was shallower than the river dives I do back home.

But upon getting out of the water and walking on the pier getting back to the resort - well, 5 of the instructors were looking at me, arms crossed, shaking their heads. THE WALK OF SHAME! I'm sure I was red. Only one said something to me that "we don't solo dive here". Why is this??? Especially when the diveop promots themselves for tec-diving and I JUST KNOW that those guys have jumped in the water at some point seeking the same experience that I had found.

BUT. it did make me think of liability and then if something were to have happened to me then they would be the ones searching for me. Not something I would wish upon another diver.

In hind sight, I should have waited until they had closed shop since they do offer 24hr shore diving. :) A dive op that leaves full tanks out for customers to use - that should have been my first clue!!

Anyway, I hope to solo again this time in Cozumel when I stay at Scuba Club.

Happy diving buds!

nvert , all you can do the next time is smille at them, but not out of shame ,just because it is no crime.
for the ones who need to be searched , you can just blame the dead ones.

don't forget the dead as much a part of this life then the birth, so long as you do not risk an other life ,to me it is ok .
searching for you if you missed, if the do not want to ,the do not have to ,if the want to ,it is there own choice, as it is yours to dive solo.

Laguna Beach in SoCal used to be the only place I dived. Then they legislated a no solo regulation about 12 years ago. I haven't dove Laguna since. Really pisses me off since I used to get a lot of big rock scallops from there. Now if I want to go to Laguna I have to scratch up a buddy.

I can't wait until my Daughter turns 10 next year. She will be my new Laguna buddy.

"Of course the board doesn't recognise SDI Solo diver c-card"

lineus,
i was not aware of this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom