Preparation for starting to SCUBA again - what videos?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedroinspain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In November I will be hopefully immersing myself in warm tropical waters with abundant marine life. However, I have only dived twice in the last 7 years, so obviously I need a refresher course. I also have a new U/W video camera and will have a new Oceanic Veo 100 dive computer, which sums up to a bunch of things to get used to. My guess is that the video camera stays topside until both me and my instructor are comfortable. I have yet to take delivery of the computer, but I understand that Oceanic provides online instruction. Finally I need to have my gear serviced and checked.

However, before entering the water on a PADI refresher/review course, I would like to go through some online videos to 'spruce' myself up prior to setting up my gear and entering the water on the training course. I checked out YouTube. Some of the Scuba training videos are truly dreadful; some are amateurish; some are plainly wrong (holding breath while passing the primary regulator instead of first using the Octopus); and some are disjointed and incomplete. I gave up after a while.

So here's the question: Do any of you have a favourite set of instruction videos that you would recommend, and could you provide URL links please?

So here's the question: Do any of you have a favourite set of instruction videos that you would recommend, and could you provide URL links please?
PADI does have many of their videos on DVD and I see them quite often on Ebay for very reasonable prices.

As for you computer, Oceanic does provide you with a free course through a online vendor called DCT.

The best option is to find an instructor to help you review your dive skills.

Last edited:
Watch videos to prepare, or to vicariously dive while you wait? That is why we come to ScubaBoard.:D

I don't think the videos will help. The refresher will cover everything and you will feel confident in your skills once you've completed it. I'd play with the computer and simulator quite a bit before diving it, though. And yeah, leave the video camera topside for a while—if your dive skills are rusty any video you take won't be much good anyway.

HERE is a link to a page of videos which demonstrate excellent diving skills. Kudos to you for wanting to do some review and modeling prior to your refresher sessions.

Those were some nice replies to this thread. I bookmarked them, myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom