prepared?? To meet your maker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waterpirate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The ongoing debate will never be solved. The debate solo vs. buddy. If you strip away the reasons and the training and the years you got away with it. Are you truly prepared?
What brought this question to the forefront for me is the simmilarities in diver fatalaties that are not skill, equipment, or training related. Most diver fatalities are listed as drowning or trauma related to surfacing prematurely for unkn own reason. If you have a medical issue while diving solo are yoe prepared? This is the only time a buddy would come in to play, being able to assist you to complete a safe ascent or render assistance.
So in the rush to solo or conduct a solo dive are you and your spouse or loved ones prepared for you to meet your maker?
Eric

The ongoing debate will never be solved. The debate solo vs. buddy. If you strip away the reasons and the training and the years you got away with it. Are you truly prepared?
What brought this question to the forefront for me is the simmilarities in diver fatalaties that are not skill, equipment, or training related. Most diver fatalities are listed as drowning or trauma related to surfacing prematurely for unkn own reason. If you have a medical issue while diving solo are yoe prepared? This is the only time a buddy would come in to play, being able to assist you to complete a safe ascent or render assistance.
So in the rush to solo or conduct a solo dive are you and your spouse or loved ones prepared for you to meet your maker?
Eric

Just as prepared as I am when I conduct a dive with a buddy. I really don't expect the buddy to make much difference in a serious medical emergency. How about you? Or do you really think the buddy will insure a different outcome?

Oh please

:snicker:

Never mind 'who you're gonna meet', the prepared part is important. The military drags peeps kicking and screaming to Deployment Readiness Procedures annually, where their wills, powers of attorney, insurance, family care plans, organ donor cards, 'do not resuscitatate orders, etc., are checked and updated.

Is your family prepared if you suffer a scuba incident? Do you carry a list of current meds, allergies, & medical issues for doctors? Do you have enough insurance to pay off all bills and leave a year of expenses?

People tend to find such topics distasteful, but having been a Casualty Assistance Officer, and seeing the devastation caused by soldiers that blew off required paperwork, you are doing yourself and family a huge disservicby not being prepared.
Tapatalk by Droid

Wow what a tough crowd.

Is it that hard to address?

I personally am ready to face the choices that I make, I was just curious if everyone else was. Having a buddy to assist with an unexpected medical issue is the only thing that can not be anticipated while being a solo diver.

Yes I think that having a buddy in the context of a medical issue would give you an added edge, an advantage that is not open to you solo. As to the benefit of that edge?? That can not be decided, but the added edge is definately there.

Ego and an over estimated perception of your reaction to a given situation is a knee jerk reaction to a problem. Simply quipping about the querry is also a dodge. Care to elaborate about your true feelings about the original post?
Eric

Reactions: PH
I'm ready, both spiritually and financially. Still a stupid post IMHO.

I have met my maker, that is both of them (Mom and Dad)

Now to solo diving..........Seems that those that do not solo dive will never "get it"nor will they "get off it".... Party hard liners that think they need to tell everyone eliss how,when and whear they can dive are the same people that think that we all need them to Save us from ourselfs. Most of us Solo divers don't care what You think, and aren't going to stop solo diving cuz you think we should nor are we frightend of "what mite happen" most of us leve that kind of fear to you people that feel they need to hold hands with some one that is just like you. You fearfull folk's are not alone, nor are we solo divers.
I don't know any solo divers that have not "been there done that" when it comes to the What If's of solo diving, most solo divers self-train and do s-drills way more then the normal BUDDY diver. Franky a lot of buddy divers I have seen are more into the beer and weed and the food they can shovell down there faces, rather then doing a dive plan and then dive that plan. Yaeh I know......this suppose to be fun right? Well you see that is the difference between a PADI Play diver and a solo diver......
You see I have been around long eungh to have seen the same kind of BS happen in the Climbing sean......First came the climbers that "just did it" then came the guys that Made better climbing gear and More people came along to climb. Next came even better gear so now people that realy didn't know how to climb started to show up.......Now we have climbing walls and Lots of poeple play on these wall and think to themselfs that they too are montain climbers. When nothing can be farther from the truth, So now there are all these "wall climbers" all over the place doing things they have no place even trying to do (as there are poelpe below them) nocking rocks down the face,getting stuck and have to be pulled off the rock........BUT even there in the climbing world there are people that have found that they are happer to just go it by themselfs. Yes thats right solo climbers......You got it, thers are some in the climbing world that have a hard-on for solo climbers as well.
So you see no matter what you can think of to do with your life, there are those among us that would rather do it there way and to hell with what anyone thinks about it.

End of the story

Prepared to meet your maker, what a bogus title

Is the grim reaper in your dive bag

King Neptue is ready to claim you for invading his realm

You're gonna die if you use those fins

I see a lot of discussion about nothing, aversion of the topic. I am sorry to have interupted your regularly scheduled Sunday morning, or thought that anything could be learned here.
I brought this to you, the members of the solo forum, of which I have been a member, in the hope of finding a consensus. Other than Jax post about the paper details and repercussions the rest of it well.... It left me wanting more.
I will take away from this thread that the most of the members here
1. do not want to face it
2. beleive their superior skill or training will save them
3. beleive this is a troll from a solo diver who regularly solo's with deco
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom