prepared?? To meet your maker?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I got this in my inbox today, I've recently lost someone very dear to me so death is on my mind at the moment.

Yes i think i am prepared to meet my maker, but would prefer to wait a while yet. Having said that who knows what is round the corner & over here our mothers always told us to change our knickers frequently in case we were knocked down by a bus in the light of that advice I have my will in order, my insurance up to date etc etc. So whether i have a nasty encounter with a propellor or that bus waiting for the day i don't have clean laundry I'm prepared.

now must go that load of washing just finished:)

As a 67 year old male with CAD, and being the average male life expectancy is 78, I pretty much can see the mortuary door from anywhere I happen to be or doing whatever I may be doing so dying while solo diving is the least of my worries.

The question is if this imaginairy maker is prepared to meet me.

Yes. In the event that I have a heart-attack I carry a defribrillator in my BC as well as the necessary tools to perform my own open-heart surgery. Shark attack? No problem!...I've got prosthetics staged throughout the dive. I can make quick work of a lung expansion injury by doing a "quick-change" on my lungs with a diverite air bladder. And if I have a stroke...well, I'm not really prepared for that but I will gain some consolation from the fact that the DIR guys will have used the right word to describe me.

Yes I am unafraid of meeting my maker and though I plan to safely complete dives if it is His will to take me while diving then so be it.
I have come to terms with this topic a while ago so I am at peace with it.
I am in no rush but have had close ones pass away due to all kinds of issues that robbed them of dignity and or their facilities so why fear death?
It is merely a transition into another state of awareness or life nothing to fear if you have made your peace.

This is a strange topic to bring up but appropriate as we all wrestle with our mortality.
None of us are ready to go unless we are suffering and even them some fight till the end.
It is a matter of perspective and our families help to shape our wishes about this topic.

JCGoodwin Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

". . .a man who knows how to live, has no place for death to enter."

"Before we wake, we cannot know that what we dreamed does not exist.
Before we die, we cannot know that death is not the greatest joy. . ."
-Tao Te Ching
Now go diving, be safe and have fun. . .!:)

Yes. In the event that I have a heart-attack I carry a defribrillator in my BC as well as the necessary tools to perform my own open-heart surgery. Shark attack? No problem!...I've got prosthetics staged throughout the dive. I can make quick work of a lung expansion injury by doing a "quick-change" on my lungs with a diverite air bladder. And if I have a stroke...well, I'm not really prepared for that but I will gain some consolation from the fact that the DIR guys will have used the right word to describe me.

so are they on the upgraded Swiss army knife or the New Leatherman?

so are they on the upgraded Swiss army knife or the New Leatherman?

What do you take me for...a fool!?! I am unwilling to entrust my life to a single tool...all of the aforementioned are separate pieces carried within, or clipped onto, my BC which is essentially a custom-made dive trench coat. If you ever see a SCUBA-Neo that is me, navigating gracefully and safely in the aquatic Matrix!

Is this topic relavent to those of us who plan on living forever?:D

No, I am not ready to meet our Almighty Being, (odds are he/she is not ready for me either).
That being said, I along with all my Solo Diver Brethren (the smart ones at least) prepare for
our dives religously (got that one in) by doing what we have been taught/learned from our training
and common sense in regards to what we are doing. Yes, it is sad that for the most part, we feel safer
diving alone, than babysitting a diver who has not taken the time to learn his/her equipment, how
to react in an Emergency situation, and over all how to be a good dive buddy. Diving Solo, I am more
aware of what goes on around me, and this translates into safer dives for my dive buddy (when using one).
I hear we (solo divers) do not make good dive buddys, this is a load of ****. When diving with others, most
want to be my buddy due to the way I help and know what is going on around me. This is true for all the
solo divers I know.

I hear we (solo divers) do not make good dive buddys, this is a load of sh!t. When diving with others, most
want to be my buddy due to the way I help and know what is going on around me. This is true for all the
solo divers I know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom