Preparing Vehicles and Military Tanks for sinking as artificial Reefs - How to do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think he means tracks instead of "chains". We did chain a bunch of M48A5's together to dump them in the Gulf of Mexico.

I think he means tracks instead of "chains". We did chain a bunch of M48A5's together to dump them in the Gulf of Mexico.

Yes, Tracks not chains. Sorry, I was translating from Arabic. Sometimes I forget to switch brains and think English :)

We have lots of military vehicles including Tanks and artillery guns in Libya that are damaged beyond repair and are no longer usable sitting as wreckage on streets and military bases (lots of Tanks). I'd like to try to sink them in 10 - 15 meter waters in the sandy patches close to shore. I need advice on what I will have to remove from these vehicles as not to create environmental issues in the water or cause danger to marine life and/or divers after sinking.

I am going to make sure that all fluids, grease, batteries, fluid pipes/lines, asbestos (if any), wires and anything else I believe is a pollution hazard are removed before sinking.

Any other material or parts I should remove from these vehicles to prevent pollution and/or danger to marine or divers life?

(In addition to the advice on what what else to remove from these vehicles, I'd appreciate any other advice on this project that I haven't addressed above please)

I like this idea. Obviously within territorial waters you will need to seek permission from the authorities for this project. Normally a government won't let you just throw stuff in the ocean. There are organizations around the world with experience building artificial reefs. It might be worth your time to approach some of them for advice.

Aside from your list above, look into the chemicals in the paint. You may need to remove all the paint. Also anything a diver could get snagged on or cause a diver to become trapped inside is a hazard. For example you may need to remove hatches.

I am somewhat surprised that Libya does not have a better uses for such a resource.

Burhan,

Do you know any dive ops in Aqaba, they might be able to tell you how this M42 Duster was positioned, although it is only in 6M of water

The cost of scrap iron is pretty low right now. IIRC, the US Navy had to sell an old aircraft carrier for $1 recently to get rid of it.
He'll I'd a gave em 5 for it. They could have quintupled their sale profit

He'll I'd a gave em 5 for it. They could have quintupled their sale profit

I suspect there were a few expensive strings attached to the sales contact with the scrapper in Texas... like "proper" disposal per a pile of Mil-Specs. Not sure if the Navy towed it to Texas or they had to transport... from San Francisco Bay I think.

Libya has some of the largest (if not the largest) auto junk yards in Africa and most of them are right on the shore. I don't want to make them any bigger especially when they are taking up space on some of the most beautiful shoreline in North Africa. I want to bring the wrecks down U/W where the financial and environmental return is much better in the long run.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2015 at 11:19 AM ----------

Burhan,

Do you know any dive ops in Aqaba, they might be able to tell you how this M42 Duster was positioned, although it is only in 6M of water

Do you remember at all if the hatches were closed on these Tanks? I am still not sure what will be safer for divers, remove all doors and hatches or weld them shut.

Back
Top Bottom