Preparing Vehicles and Military Tanks for sinking as artificial Reefs - How to do it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you remember at all if the hatches were closed on these Tanks? I am still not sure what will be safer for divers, remove all doors and hatches or weld them shut.

I will need to check my photos, they were taken in 2011 so not on my current hard drive.

I like this idea. Obviously within territorial waters you will need to seek permission from the authorities for this project. Normally a government won't let you just throw stuff in the ocean. There are organizations around the world with experience building artificial reefs. It might be worth your time to approach some of them for advice.

Aside from your list above, look into the chemicals in the paint. You may need to remove all the paint. Also anything a diver could get snagged on or cause a diver to become trapped inside is a hazard. For example you may need to remove hatches.

I am getting the local government, marine research center, local universities and even veteran affairs office get involved for all to benefit in different ways.

Local Government: Permissions and help with funding

Marine Research Center: Environmental studies for before & after studies.

Local Universities: For engineering, science, fisheries students/faculty to be involved in making any required engineering or scientific research and/or work required in the project. My idea is to get the students to do the required analysis for preparing and sinking the wrecks.

Veteran Affairs office: Provide work opportunities for veterans especially amputees if at all possible. This will probably give us great PR and may induce some local and international organizations to help us in funding and/or expertise.

I'll add more organizations as I go along who will be of importance to us in funding and/or expertise for the project.

Hey Burhan, if you need an UW photographer I'm in :D

Hey Burhan, if you need an UW photographer I'm in :D

Actually, I am counting on you to be here and photo document the work when this projects is started and it is safer for you to be here :)

I am getting the local government, marine research center, local universities and even veteran affairs office get involved for all to benefit in different ways. ...//...

Do you have a "standards committee" for scientific diving? In the USA it is American Academy of Underwater Sciences - American Academy of Underwater Sciences

BTW, I suggest cutting off all the hatches and testing the openings as emergency exits. There will always be the diver who is just going to get in there by any means and then leave a dangerously small single entry point (and it makes a better fish habitat when opened for swim-throughs).

Libya has some of the largest (if not the largest) auto junk yards in Africa and most of them are right on the shore. I don't want to make them any bigger especially when they are taking up space on some of the most beautiful shoreline in North Africa. I want to bring the wrecks down U/W where the financial and environmental return is much better in the long run.

---------- Post added November 10th, 2015 at 11:19 AM ----------

Do you remember at all if the hatches were closed on these Tanks? I am still not sure what will be safer for divers, remove all doors and hatches or weld them shut.

The article I sent you had all the hatches into the fighting compartment welded open but blocked with iron bars to prevent entry. Having been in both T55 and T62 tanks, I can tell you that you will not enter wearing a tank on you back. In addition, the compartment is too cramped to effectively maneuver in underwater. Best to let divers look inside, satisfy curiosity, without being able to enter. Personally, I would remove the rear deck over the engine compartment. You will get better photos of the tank.

Edit, just one more thought. If you have big access doors at the rear of the artillery tracks, like the M109, you might be able to safely let divers access the fighting compartment. You could do the same on M113 APC's and maybe on BMP's AFV's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom