prescription dive mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok folks I'm looking for opinions on who makes the best prescription lenses for masks. I dont care either bonded or replacement lenses. I want bifocals and I have used 3 different places in the past but just curious if anyone has an opinion on this. I have used scuba optics,prescription dive masks and Rx divemasks are there others? Anyone use aquatic optics?

I have been very happy with prescriotiondivemasks.com as haver many more here.

They will do bonded inlays to your prescription. This is far superior to any stick-on or interchangable lens system. This is espcially true if you have astigmatism or want bifocals. It is very smart to use the taget mask for a few dives to confirm the fit before sending it off.

More here.

Pete

Dive Rite has about the cheapest option I've seen. Buy the Dive Rite Mask, and then buy the lenses with the prescription you need from Dive Rite, and you can put them in or your retailer can put them in.

I'm not certain of the price, but I remember it being less than $100 mask and lenses

Dive Rite has about the cheapest option I've seen. Buy the Dive Rite Mask, and then buy the lenses with the prescription you need from Dive Rite, and you can put them in or your retailer can put them in.

I'm not certain of the price, but I remember it being less than $100 mask and lenses

I should have mentioned I usually get bifocals.

I should have mentioned I usually get bifocals.

I wear bifocals also, but I got the look2 by Aqualung with just my bottom up close prescription. since things look larger under water, the far was okay.

I have been very happy with prescriotiondivemasks.com as haver many more here.

They will do bonded inlays to your prescription. This is far superior to any stick-on or interchangable lens system. This is espcially true if you have astigmatism or want bifocals. It is very smart to use the taget mask for a few dives to confirm the fit before sending it off.

More here.

Pete

Thanks Pete, just curious why you feel the bonded is better than having a custom made bi focal lense that actually replaces the stock lense? I'm not talking about a company that sells different diopters and can put them in the mask, I'm talking full custom ground bifocal with my reading/distance scripts,astigmatism etc. I have both and notice that besides crud building up around where the bonded lenses stop and the faceplate remains there is always an area of marginal vision..

---------- Post added May 20th, 2013 at 05:49 PM ----------

sorry but not even in the running :)

Thanks Pete, just curious why you feel the bonded is better than having a custom made bi focal lense that actually replaces the stock lense? I'm not talking about a company that sells different diopters and can put them in the mask, I'm talking full custom ground bifocal with my reading/distance scripts,astigmatism etc. I have both and notice that besides crud building up around where the bonded lenses stop and the faceplate remains there is always an area of marginal vision..

---------- Post added May 20th, 2013 at 05:49 PM ----------

sorry but not even in the running :)

I was not familiar with that option, if it's done to script then it's good in my book, maybe better! Thanks for the clarification.

Pete

---------- Post added May 20th, 2013 at 07:10 PM ----------

Also, before shelling out for bifocals please consider this recent post. (But please forgive the typo's in that post!) Single focal masks have been great for me despite a progressive eyeglass script.

Pete

I also wear bifocals on land but use single prescription dive masks. I actually was able to get two masks that work great for me at the end of a dive show for $10 for the pair. They are not a perfect match to my usual prescription but I find that in the water they work fantastically. No problems seeing anything near or far. Prior to this I was using contacts and I would never go back.

Thanks all, I agree with the single vision mask approach and have one that I like a lot. However side by side for seeing the smallest symbols on my computer and camera screen the lenses with the custom readers in them works best for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom