Prescription mask for astigmatism?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FiReaNG3L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Im looking to buy a prescription mask, but im doing almost only astigmatism (almost no myopia). My local dive shop told me that it was impossible, is it true? If not, do you recommend a particular brand?

Thanks!

That is not true. Bonded internal overlays will correct for astigmatism. More here.

These guys get consistently high praise.

Pete

ditto! i just got my atomic aquatic subframe mask done by them and i have astigmatism. they did a great job.

Im looking to buy a prescription mask, but im doing almost only astigmatism (almost no myopia). My local dive shop told me that it was impossible, is it true? If not, do you recommend a particular brand?

Thanks!

I have an astigmatism. I'm on my 3rd set of prescription lenses. No problem here. If you wear prescription glasses that correct your vision isn't it the same underwater?

Off the top of my head I don't recall the name of the company that ground the lenses and installed them for me. Atomic recommended them and they're in CA. All 3 sets of the prescription lenses I've had came from different suppliers. I don't think you'll have an issue.

I have 2 mask from PDM ( link above) and my wife has one as well. They have always done a great job for me. I would bet they can what you need but a simple phone call will get you the answer for sure. Really nice people to talk to and work with.

Thanks!
my hubby has a super hard script because of his astigmatism and our local guy came thru with the goods. hubbys bad eyesight never really bothered him underwater until he got a dslr and had to look thru the view finder - six months down the track he still comments on how good it is to be able to see underwater so well!

Oz Bob even works with overseas buyers, has an excellent name down here and offers money back if youre not happy: OzBob Flash Page

Your dive shop may have meant that you can't get the standardized drop-in lenses, which are only available for near- or farsightedness. But custom-ground lenses can be bonded into most masks. It's not cheap and there is lead time involved (the mask has to be sent away), but it's worth it if it lets you see.

I used Aquatic Optics which does the glass for Atomic Aquatics. Also note depending on how much astigmatism you have you can get away with not correcting it. However, it depends on the mask. My old Sherwood mask I did not need to correct for it but with Atomics I did.

Back
Top Bottom