Prescription mask has glued-on rather than relacement lenses, is this safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemamma

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi, possibly idiot question but my daughter has just bought a prescription mask for a dive trip, after many delays, mask finally arrived this morning, she leaves tonight. Problem is, all our previous prescription masks essentially replaced the plain lenses of the mask with the prescription lenses. This (very expensive) version just has two smaller lenses glued to the original mask glass. Is this normal, and is it safe? She has little choice at this stage, but might manage with contacts and a plain mask if this is really dodgy...?

Thanks, and again, apologies for posting probably dumb question!

These are usually prescription lenses made for a mask that does not have a design that allows lens replacement. They are bonded to the original mask lens. Should not be any issues.

Been diving masks like that for close to 20 years whithout isssues. I'm not aware of any other way to get more "complicated" corrections done, as the simple replacements only can correct dipotric values but can to cater to cylinders or astigmatism etc.

These are usually prescription lenses made for a mask that does not have a design that allows lens replacement. They are bonded to the original mask lens. Should not be any issues.
Well, all of my Tusa masks allow for lens replacement, yet I do have glued correction lenses as it is the only way to correct both my far and near sightness

Bonded prescriptions are very common. Most masks do not allow removal and replacement of the glass, but a lab produced prescription lens can be bonded to any flat surface,
And even for those that do remove, allowing off the shelf diopters to be installed, a true prescription lens that is custom ground still may not fit as a replacement rather than bonded. (If it can fit as a replacement, it will cost more than bonded lenses)
Finally, even for off the shelf diopters, the “+” corrections for a far sighted diver requiring help reading gauges will just be a bonded piece of glass in the bottom of the replacement lens.

Ah, so it was a stupid question! Many, many thanks for all the helpful and reassuring responses above.

Mine is this way. 20 years old, still works great.

Most importantly, with a little bit of spit I never have fog issues. (Honestly not sure if it's the specifics of this mask - have never used any other - but always hear others complaining of fogging issues)

Most importantly, with a little bit of spit I never have fog issues

+1 on spit. I carry it on EVERY dive, never gets lost.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom