Prescription mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JonKranhouse:
Marek's claim that he has [paraphrasing] "perfect distance vision underwater despite quite a lot of astigmatism, due to underwater optics behaving differently in air” is not accurate...

Fair enough. I think I shouldn't have used the word "perfect."

Nevertheless, for whatever reason (like limited vision range underwater... even though I dive a lot in clear Red Sea waters), I find that I'm very satisfied with only the spherical correction I've got.

By the way, my corrected mask is far from perfect in the air... I definitely notice the lack of astigmatism correction. But it's good enough to navigate around on a dive boat until I get my glasses on.

My wife has a spare mask with -5.5 spherical correction lenses in it (she doesn't use it because it isn't very comfortable). In an emergency, I could use that mask and see decently underwater. That's something that would never happen with the same spherical lenses in air.

I do wonder how much the magnification factor in water affects how well I see.

I accept I could probably get better vision with astigmatism and presbyopia correction too... but I think the cost of such lenses would be too much for me. More than I'm willing to spend, in any case.

--Marek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom