Prescription Scuba Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking for a company that can do a prescription scuba mask. Any suggestions? Anyone else order one of these? I tried contacts and it did not go well, husband has had enough of asking me if I am ok and I give him my air pressure.

Thanks
Kim

What's your Rx??/......'OTC' premade ones may work OK assuming you don't have much cylinder(astigmatism)......Also assuming you're nearsighted(ie needing minus lenses for your sphere RX)....

What's your Rx??/......'OTC' premade ones may work OK assuming you don't have much cylinder(astigmatism)......Also assuming you're nearsighted(ie needing minus lenses for your sphere RX)....

This is the big question here, before you start looking into who can do a prescription mask, you have to know the options, drop in lenses are usually cheapest but will only work if your Rx is fairly simple. If the Rx isn't simple (ie a more than slight astigmatism as diver 85 mentioned, then custom ground lenses is probably the only way to go. If you go that route, depending on the company you may or may not be able to pick whichever mask you want. Some companies will want you to mark the mask and send it to them, others have masks and prefer to use their own (I went that route with the HydroOptix flat mask, but got it through an optician to make sure it fit first. Cost alot more than the mask i originally bought, which is now my spare/snorkeling mask since it's not Rx).

Find out what option is going to work for you before buying a mask as it may save you from having to buy a second one if the first won't accept drop-ins or the Rx company supplies masks.

I actually have Tusa liberator plus mask and I am going to get the lenses put in tomorrow on my mask. I am afraid of loosing my contacts underwater if my mask gets flooded or something like that. It will cost my 80$,, good luck with yours.

I actually have Tusa liberator plus mask and I am going to get the lenses put in tomorrow on my mask. I am afraid of loosing my contacts underwater if my mask gets flooded or something like that. It will cost my 80$,, good luck with yours.

Ok Update to this.. OMG i am soooo happy I actually put the lenses on the mask. I put the mask on in the shower (testing for leaks) and I looked into my kitchen, and i was able to see... I cannot wait to actually really use them =)

I have used Scuba Vision in Ukiah for my last three prescriptions.

Guy is an optician and a free diver. Have had long talks with him about skin diving. My masks were all perfect. He has you mark the center of your pupils on the outside surface of the mask when you send it to him, and he insures that the center of you lenses is on the mark.

I have used Scuba Vision in Ukiah for my last three prescriptions.

Guy is an optician and a free diver. Have had long talks with him about skin diving. My masks were all perfect. He has you mark the center of your pupils on the outside surface of the mask when you send it to him, and he insures that the center of you lenses is on the mark.

OR-------you can send him your P.D.(pupillary distance measurement)--a measurement your optician or eye doctor would have on hand in their records.........This is to ensure no(or not much) prism is induced into the Rx, the higher the Rx the more accurate the lenses have to be made...........

I have a bad prescription which includes a high astigmatism. Contacts don't work for me and I am very sensitive to any prism. Sea Vision has nailed my last two prescription masks. I purchased the mask itself through my LDS. So I was able to go in, try on the masks and see what worked best for me since I have a small face. Then I sent the mask to Sea Vision and got it back very quickly. They do a superb job!

I give two thumbs up for Leonard Maggiore, of Queens, New York.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom