Presenting Miss July . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup. Weird.

Hmmmm.... thought occurs that may be a business opportunity to go down there and open a more reasoned fill operation.

But the position that tanks get "too old" just proves that those shops do not know $#!+ about tanks or fills. Likely just in it to sell more. I could see **maybe** requiring more frequent VIPs in areas of high use in saltwater, but that would be for all tanks, not just the old ones.

Or maybe they're guilty of materially overfilling routinely and trying to get customers to pay for their sins? Hear it happens in some parts of Flo reeda.

But it all goes back to "don't know squat about tanks."

There is combo lake/dive shop/training offeror here that that ignorantly refuses bottles over 20 years old. They say "Safety is our concern". Then that same shop turns around and tries to sell 25 year old bottles on the SB classifieds... Safety is not their concern then?

Actually, shops here will not only fill old tanks, but will fill old Luxfer/Kidde/Cliff 6351 bottles provided they have current hydro (w/ VE stamp) and eddy/VIP. As they all should. (Note the shop that does almost all o the LDS hydros won't do aluminum bottles made prior to 1990 and they should know better. There's another shop across town that actually knows and understands the criteria and rules framework). But most shops can't be bothered with real knowledge or learning how things work. Instead they rely on ignorance, superstition, rumor, bad practice and fear mongering. Or out and out dishonesty.

I do not agree with the policies and it is not all, just many. I had to buy two new tanks summer before last on my Florida road trip because my two were in fresh hydro but also 16 years old. Go figure. I gave up and tanks were on sale so picked up two new 80s. Yeah, good grief what grief we divers go through sometimes just to get wet :wink:.

That is a nice wax job, no hair on those legs. I will proably get banned for saying that, oh well, more grief. Somebody up page is having a thread titled Busty Women Diving Underwater and I thought that a good title for a short film :eek:, so now I will be in trouble with the mods twice in a row from a single post!

Does she have a sister?
You asked .....

"Deep breather?"

OMG ! ! ! She goes all the way down.

To be a downer, there are many shops, especially down in Florida that would consider those gals past prime and would likely refuse a fill. There seems to be an unofficial, official 15 years cutoff or three hydros. Shops can be weird. Texas you are probably okay most times.

Don't know what shops you're using or who does those hydro tests.....I am in South FL for 31 years now. Aluminum tanks will be hydrostatic tested until they are 30 years out from manufacture date. Plenty of AL80s floating around with 4 stamps on them, still in service, still being filled.

Steel tanks will be hydro'd until the expansion rate is compromised. I filled two steel tanks last week that were made in the 1970s....current hydro stamp.

Don't know what shops you're using or who does those hydro tests.....I am in South FL for 31 years now. Aluminum tanks will be hydrostatic tested until they are 30 years out from manufacture date. Plenty of AL80s floating around with 4 stamps on them, still in service, still being filled.

Steel tanks will be hydro'd until the expansion rate is compromised. I filled two steel tanks last week that were made in the 1970s....current hydro stamp.
Does not matter it is 15 or 30 years regardless it is nonsense.

OK, so I’ll be diving out of Pompano Beach next week. I’m diving their rental tanks Sat. & Sun. But am carrying my one old faithful with me for a stop @ Blue Heron Bridge on the way back North on Monday. The tank should be full, but if I need to get it topped up, will I be able to? It’s a Luxfer, ca 1993 that had full hydro and vis last May. Will it be a problem if I need it filled in PB?
🐸
PS Aluminum, of course.

OK, so I’ll be diving out of Pompano Beach next week.
Stop at Dive Gear Express. Bring just enough money to fill your cylinder. Otherwise you might max out your credit card and not have enough money to get home.

To be a downer, there are many shops, especially down in Florida that would consider those gals past prime and would likely refuse a fill. There seems to be an unofficial, official 15 years cutoff or three hydros. Shops can be weird. Texas you are probably okay most times.
That sounds like a ploy to sell scuba-tanks.

Actually, shops here will not only fill old tanks, but will fill old Luxfer/Kidde/Cliff 6351 bottles provided they have current hydro (w/ VE stamp) and eddy/VIP.
So far, I've only encountered one place that refused to fill a 6351. It was a guy filling tanks out of his garage in Killeen, TX. He only charged $7 per tank instead of $10 when I was there, so .... win some, lose some.

OK, so I’ll be diving out of Pompano Beach next week. I’m diving their rental tanks Sat. & Sun. But am carrying my one old faithful with me for a stop @ Blue Heron Bridge on the way back North on Monday. The tank should be full, but if I need to get it topped up, will I be able to? It’s a Luxfer, ca 1993 that had full hydro and vis last May. Will it be a problem if I need it filled in PB?
🐸
PS Aluminum, of course.

This will be a non-issue. Stop by Dixie Divers in Deerfield on your way up and I'll fill them for you. Or use any decent outfit in between Pompano and WPB.

Avoid any Force-E locations if you don't want a hot fill. Enjoy your time here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom