PRESS RELEASE: Majestic Explorer (06.01.2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Many people mentioned about trip insurance. In such case that Majestic sank, which kind of insurance would pay for related costs (plane tickets, hotels) of canceling trip. (ie. Majestic sank)

Hopefully you have trip insurance.

Can you recommend any trip insurance that will cover the plane tickets and hotels related the this event, Majestic sank? I went through many insurance policies and none of them covers such incident.

I was wondering the same thing, did they lose all their dive gear and luggage?
I have it on good authority that no luggage or dive gear was lost. The boat didn't actually sink for hours after the evacuation.

Can you recommend any trip insurance that will cover the plane tickets and hotels related the this event, Majestic sank? I went through many insurance policies and none of them covers such incident.
Are you looking at trip interruption and trip cancellation policies? Ignore the medical stuff.

Some sample wording from a policy:

"In the case of an accident illness or other unforeseen fortuitous event that is beyond the control of the:
- covered person, or;
- travelling companion.
The event must be sufficiently serious, directly affect the covered person and require that the trip be cancelled, interrupted, extendeded or modified."

The boat sinking appears to be unforeseen, and was beyond your control.

What wording have you seen that would exclude a boat sinking?

Are you looking at trip interruption and trip cancellation policies? Ignore the medical stuff.

"In the case of an accident illness or other unforeseen fortuitous event that is beyond the control of the:
- covered person, or;
- travelling companion.
The event must be sufficiently serious, directly affect the covered person and require that the trip be cancelled, interrupted, extendeded or modified."

In my case, my trip with Majestic is in August, and my trip insurance doesn't cover for hotels / flights that I already bought since the trip has not started / I'm not on Majestic when there was an accident.

In my case, my trip with Majestic is in August, and my trip insurance doesn't cover for hotels / flights that I already bought since the trip has not started / I'm not on Majestic when there was an accident.
Sounds like you have trip interruption insurance and not trip cancellation insurance. My credit cards provide this type of insurance for free. It is mostly useless. It is targetted towards the situation where you have a medical event mid trip.

Did you purchase this insurance?

Sounds like you have trip interruption insurance and not trip cancellation insurance. My credit cards provide this type of insurance for free. It is mostly useless. It is targetted towards the situation where you have a medical event mid trip.

Did you purchase this insurance?

I purchased travel insurance, but the travel insurance company said they won't cover this kind of incident because the cancellation is the fault of the boat which they need to be responsible. The insurance is meant to cover unforeseen reasons that are out of anyone's control.

Anyway, could you point out which insurance company and plans would cover?

I purchased travel insurance, but the travel insurance company said they won't cover this kind of incident because the cancellation is the fault of the boat which they need to be responsible. The insurance is meant to cover unforeseen reasons that are out of anyone's control.

Anyway, could you point out which insurance company and plans would cover?

Don't take no for an answer. Elevate this.

I can understand them saying the boat company should be refunding the cost of the boat fare but all of your other costs, flights, etc?

Kick it upstairs and make sure to document absolutely every interaction, names, dates, copies of emsil conversations etc.

- covered person, or;
- travelling companion.

Hello Joe,

I've called DiveAssure about their "The Liveaboard Rider" policy
they also answer that boat sink or boat not ready is excluded in the insurance.

For the unforeseen event in the many policy. I took a look in, they will state what unforeseen event they will covered - not all unforeseen events (in their policy detail documents). So far, i couldn't find any insurance that will cover a cost if your liveaboard boat sink or not ready. The most likely one cover if boat owner or travel agent got bankrupted - not sink or not ready.

From this sad Majestic situation, If anyone can suggest a policy that cover for the case of Boat sink or not ready, I believe it will be very helpful for the community and lot of people will be more willing to buy it.

Hello Joe,

I've called DiveAssure about their "The Liveaboard Rider" policy
they also answer that boat sink or boat not ready is excluded in the insurance.

For the unforeseen event in the many policy. I took a look in, they will state what unforeseen event they will covered - not all unforeseen events (in their policy detail documents). So far, i couldn't find any insurance that will cover a cost if your liveaboard boat sink or not ready. The most likely one cover if boat owner or travel agent got bankrupted - not sink or not ready.

From this sad Majestic situation, If anyone can suggest a policy that cover for the case of Boat sink or not ready, I believe it will be very helpful for the community and lot of people will be more willing to buy it.

I would like to know the answer too because the agent keeps on blaming us for not having trip insurance for this Majestic incident.

Back
Top Bottom