Pressure drop in the compressed air cylinder?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mad_matty

New
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

if you have a compressed air tank (200 liters / 1.3 bar) on the water surface and dive at a depth of 3 meters with a hose and a regulator, how long can you dive if you consume 32.5 liters / min?

What is the minimum pressure of the compressed air tank?
How does the pressure develop in the tank when I breathe?
What would be the limit pressure?

Cheers

Matthias

I may be speaking for others here too when I say these questions are a bit weird but if you give more details of what you are trying to do maybe we can provide better answers for you...If you were diving a Hooka Rig at 3m/10ft you can run it dry/empty and come up exhaling your last breath. The limit pressure is dictated by the tanks rated working pressure. Pressure does not develop in the tank when you breath, it decreases as you use the air by breathing via your regulator. Minimum air tank pressure at 10ft/3m depends on the regulator you are using. Some will let you suck a tank almost dry and some will give you symptoms at a few hundred psi. I think more info is needed so please explain further...

Hello everybody,

if you have a compressed air tank (200 liters / 1.3 bar) on the water surface and dive at a depth of 3 meters with a hose and a regulator, how long can you dive if you consume 32.5 liters / min?

Cheers

Matthias

Matthias, what is the question behind the question? What do you REALLY want to know?

R..

Hello everybody,

Cheers

Matthias
For those of us still enjoying the "furlongs per fortnight" system of weights and measures, 200 liters is about the size of a 50 gallon barrel. . . I think something was lost in presenting the question. . .

I suspect this is a homework assignment, kudos for original thought in getting actual scuba divers to help....

Ignoring the mechanics of the regs etc, 200 litres at 1.3 bar means the tank is the same pressure as the ambient at 3m (1.3ATA)

That means that at 3m you will not be able to breathe off a non-deformable tank that is at 1.3 bar.

If you have NO regulator, and will use HARD 200L 1.3 bar tank on the surface - does not matter, what SAC you have.
You will be able to make no more than ONE breath, because pressure at 3m is 1.3 bar.
After one breath pressure in the tank will LESS than pressure at the depth of 3m, and you will have to suck air from this tank, and this is not good for your lungs.

P.S. When I writing this post, RainPilot already described this :)

P.P.S.
this cylinders?
aeDyVDmfUZs.jpg

Last edited:
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom