Pretty much a newbie diver....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jontay

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Scuba folks. I thought this might be a good forum to pose the following question;

I'm a 57 yr old male looking for laid back/chill vacation (traveling solo, for 10-14 days) w/some random scuba diving thrown in amongst other activities. Looking for mid Jan/2018 trip. PADI open water certified (@ Lake Tahoe) 17 years ago but no ocean dives or other experience since. Assume I would need something where I could take a refresher course(?) and would want to rent everything (although, I may still have my goggles and snorkel from PADI class?).

I live in Idaho so I was thinking the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America might be a reasonable travel distace/time. From the articles and forums that I've read, the overall $ expenditure for a Carribean area trip could be somewhat reasonable and also provide a great diving experience. My goal is to become more acquainted with scuba diving and to see wide array of colors, coral, fish, animals, etc. and become even more enthused to pursue more diving adventures.

Scuba diving has been a lifelong bucket list item and my New Year's resolution is to address this desire. Looking for a new hobby/sport and this is what I really want to pursue. I love to travel so taking future dive vacations would be right up my alley.

Appreciate anybody's thoughts, suggestions, ideas and opinions on the matter.

Thank you SO much!

Addressing ONLY your newness as a diver, I recommend Divi Flamingo in Bonaire.

Bonaire in general has very protected water and no current.

Though Bonaire has a reputation for shore diving, I would recommend only boat diving for you.

Fully disclose your newbie-ness to the Divi staff and they will take great care of you.

They can (and should) give you a refresher on their easy-to-dive house reef.

I consider myself an advanced diver and still love Divi Flamingo and Bonaire...they have something for every diver.

As for top-side activities, there’s not a lot to do on Bonaire except windsurfing on the windy (non-diving) side of the island and a day trip driving through the National Park.

You could go to nearby Aruba and/or Curaçao for more top-side activities.

I live in Idaho so I was thinking the Caribbean, Mexico or Central America might be a reasonable travel distace/time. From the articles and forums that I've read, the overall $ expenditure for a Carribean area trip could be somewhat reasonable and also provide a great diving experience. My goal is to become more acquainted with scuba diving and to see wide array of colors, coral, fish, animals, etc. and become even more enthused to pursue more diving adventures.

Ticket prices are scary this year to the Caribbean. Pacific side of Costa Rica won't get you coral nor as many colourful fishes as Caribbean reefs (plus I have't looked at the tickets this year), it will get you larger schools of fish and bigger animals. And slightly deeper dives generally speaking. On the Caribbean side Roatan is about the cheapest boat diving while Bonaire is probably the best for shore diving. On a boat you're in a group withe a guide. Shore: you're on your own, free to do whatever.

So far the only thing I have done is I have booked a flight to Cancun ($373 RT from Boise, ID) and no real plans other than that. Trying to decide where to spend the first few nights and try to get some refresher dives in(?).
Right now, I am thinking maybe of starting at Puerto Morelos or Playa Del Carmen for a couple days and then maybe over to Cozumel. Cozumel seems to be coming highly recommended by many, but maybe with a tad bit more diving experience.

Still looking for cheap lodging as all I really want is a bed (safe). Thinking AirBnB might be a good way to go?

Please feel free to offer opinions if anyone wants to take the time.

Thanks for all of the great, informative responses. VERY much appreciated!!! :)

Jontay

Back
Top Bottom