Preventing backscatter with helmet mounted light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pearlman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All
I use the gopro on a stick with a torch mounted right below. Since both the torchlight and gopro lens point in the same direction inches apart. shooting in waters that are not crystal clear becomes problematic.

I am thinking of solving this problem by using a scuba/cave helmet with a mount for attaching torch. I expect this to work better because now the torchlight source will be about 18" above the lens when horizontal (my pole is always angled down in a relaxed position and I don't use the camera perpendicular to the pole either so a downward slope actually makes the gopro perfectly horizontal). The video torch has a 120deg beam angle with 800 lumen (Brinyte Div08v) FYI and I have to currently keep it on lowest power to prevent glare. Hence using medium/high power with the torch 3-5 ft behind the extended pole looks ok-ish to me.

What do you folks think about this arrangement - - will it actually work after I spend all the money? Any pros and cons? Cost effectiveness and ability to secure compared to a headmount strap? Would a helmet+torch work out more cost effective than a tray apart from the benefit of steady shots? Disturbance through momentary problems looking at other divers with the glare of the torchlight full on (until I am reminded to switch off) - will that become an etiquette problem?

I dont want to use tray as I (vainglorious me:D ) take the occasional selfies when backflipping or making an entry otherwise.

Lastly - which is the most compact scuba/cave helmet I can buy with a mount for torches? Your recommendations are welcome!

Thanks
P

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom