preventing regulator freezup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buff

Contributor
Reaction score
As I recall my Poseidon users manual says to seal the first stage when diving in water less than 7 degrees celsius. So the water doesn't have to be 0 degrees to freeze the first stage?
Should I just get the first stage sealed and be done with it?
Mike

Buff,

The rushing air will cool the regulator well past the freezing point, and thus the suggestion for sealing the first stage to avoid ice buildup.

Some manufacturers believe that the warmer water (ie warmer than freezing) will allow the parts to stay functional. Others believe that there should be no contact with water at all.

I would follow your manufacturers suggestions.

The reason that the water doesn't have to be zero degrees is because of the decompressing gas. When your tank is being filled up, it gets warm. I think it's Boyle's law - if volume remains constant and pressure increases, temperature also increase. On the flip side, when the pressure drops (like from inside your 3000psi tank to around 140psi after the first stage) the air cools significantly. It is this cooling, coupled with already colse to freezing temperatures, that causes the issue. I would get it sealed and be done with it.

Originally posted by jobowker
The reason that the water doesn't have to be zero degrees is because of the decompressing gas. When your tank is being filled up, it gets warm. I think it's Boyle's law - if volume remains constant and pressure increases, temperature also increase. On the flip side, when the pressure drops (like from inside your 3000psi tank to around 140psi after the first stage) the air cools significantly. It is this cooling, coupled with already colse to freezing temperatures, that causes the issue. I would get it sealed and be done with it.

You're right on! I'm going to get it sealed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom