Primary light for cave diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:popcorn:

I'd like to hear from Doppler, too. The main reason I use a canister is that I don't want to cut things close on primary light duration, and my dives right now are running close to 3 hours.

Allow me to add a totally different two cents-worth.

At a guess, I have 'invested' in more than 15 cave lights over the years... My first a monster built by Lamar English, the last something altogether different from the guys at Light Monkey.

I no longer use a canister light. I feel they are old technology and above all boast so many failure points they are a joke. My current cave light is a sealed system handheld LED.

Look at what's out there and investigate alternatives to the traditional canister light... I think we are at a tipping point of sorts.

Just saying

What hand held do you use? Do you have a way to use it hands free (goodman)?? Thanks Keith

At the moment I am in the business of buying my first can light as I want to progress to cave diving maybe within the next 2 years.

FWIW,with the advances in cave lighting technology seeming to improve every 6 months or so,I would make purchasing your light the last thing you do,unless you need it now. In 2 years from now the lights we are talking about will probably have some obsolesence,although sustain their utility.

Sorry for the nothing post but finally another useful thread for the beginner!!!!! Awesome topic/ post

Allow me to add a totally different two cents-worth.

At a guess, I have 'invested' in more than 15 cave lights over the years... My first a monster built by Lamar English, the last something altogether different from the guys at Light Monkey.

I no longer use a canister light. I feel they are old technology and above all boast so many failure points they are a joke. My current cave light is a sealed system handheld LED.

Look at what's out there and investigate alternatives to the traditional canister light... I think we are at a tipping point of sorts.

Just saying
Agreed, stopped useing canister lights 'bout two years ago for cave/deep diving, never regreted it, never looked back......

If you get only a handheld single light, make sure it's a constant charge. A buddy of mine (in the green ocean) uses a handheld non-can type of light and with the light intensity diminishes with the battery usage.

I'm new to cave diving (10 post-class dives) and our team used a mix of LED and HID. They were all fine though one of the LED's had a more spill but it actually helped illuminate what you are looking at better. If you are going for a pencil beam than you'll likely want an HID. But I grew to appreciate a little spill to see more and I'm not looking 300' ahead of me most of the time, anyway. Communication wasn't a problem.

Sorry folks... missed the follow-up question

Dive Lights Dive Torches | Cathx Euphos Dive Torch Diving Light

a dive light designed by a lighting engineer that has a balanced power source and is very, very rugged. Not perfect by any means, but a great light for those who are open to a slightly different approach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom