Princeton Tec Impact II LED Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nkw5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This light sounds so good on paper and was cheap, so I bought it. It works great on land, especially at night, but I can't even see its beam underwater in the daytime, even on cloudy days. Did I get a lemon or is it just meant to work at night (I haven't taken it on a night dive yet)?

Description: A more compact version of the popular Impact flashlight, with many of the same great features. Light-weight, water-proof, and very powerful.

Features:
One ultra-high-output LED bulb.
Proprietary optical lens system.
Wide beam focus, very bright.
Projects beam up to 50 yards.
Bulb life of 10,000 hours plus.
Uses 4 AAA alkaline batteries.
Burn time of 75 hours or more.
Simple twist-on / twist-off switch.
Weighs 2.9 ounces with batteries.
Water-proof to 500 feet or more.
Quick, easy battery replacement.
4 handsome case colors available.
Lifetime limited factory warranty by Princeton Tec

Hey I have the same problem with my PT Surge! Christ at night this thing is on fire but today I did some snorkeling in a local lake and my light didnt do a whole lot. Of course it had rained last night so the vis was ~2 feet...but still I wouldve thought it helped a little

dont get me wrong...when i could bearly see anything at literally...6 feet...my light did brighten my surroundings a bit...

-Matt

it's going to be tough to get a light you can see during the day.

my 10-watt HID is awesome in the cave, but once out in the open, you can hardly
see the beam.

if you get real close to what you want to see (say, coral) and shine your light
on it directly during the day, you will see a difference. otherwise, the ambient
light is going to swallow the beam right up

Hmmm, let me think now, LED vs... the SUN. Okay, all kidding aside, I think it's really a matter of the ambient light, as previously stated. I too have looked into the Impact LED after it was mentioned elsewhere on the board, let us know what you think of it after your night dive. I've got a UK C8 eLED and am quite happy with how well the white light penetrates water, vs. its conventionally bulbed D8 cousin. I got to see both in the water side by side doing a night dive in Kona in February.

slingshot:
Hmmm, let me think now, LED vs... the SUN. Okay, all kidding aside, I think it's really a matter of the ambient light, as previously stated. I too have looked into the Impact LED after it was mentioned elsewhere on the board, let us know what you think of it after your night dive. I've got a UK C8 eLED and am quite happy with how well the white light penetrates water, vs. its conventionally bulbed D8 cousin. I got to see both in the water side by side doing a night dive in Kona in February.

I still haven't done a night dive with that light (long, ugly story), but I was in the lake a couple of weekends ago. It was so dark that one of my buddies without a light couldn't read his gauges. The Impact let me see mine really well plus lit up what was directly in front of me in its small area of illumination. I guess I'm keeping it.

HI, just bought the mentioned light. Yet to dive with it. Probably possible to dive with it only in june. can't wait to try out my new toy...

I have it (2) just bought 3 more...I love this light...It´s small compact and for the performance, pretty cheap. I´ve been in wrecks and caverns with this light and it compared favouribly to the (gasp) Halcyon Scout...The light has a pretty blue tone so in daylight I can see why it would "dissapear"...like H2Andy said, expecting to see a beam, even from a HID in daylight is being overly optimistic...

Hi, how does the Impact II compare to the UK Mini Q40 eLED? In term of beam-range, focusing, sharpness, brightness etc..............

Because am looking at these two models, but can't decide on which one. Need someone who had tried them to give some feedbacks.

Thanks in advance.

Okay. I finally took this light on a night dive. It's more than adequate for a back up. And may I add, this is one strong puppy. I sent it thru the washing machine by mistake :11: , and it still works great. Reminds me of those Timex commercials--takes a licking and keeps on ticking!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom