Pristine and Untouched Reefs....Thoughts, Opinions and Reflections

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PNG was THE hotspot as far as diving was concerned a few years ago but for some reason it seems to have dropped down behind Raja. The whole country, not just the diving side, is as pristine as anywhere in the world. Of that there is no doubt. I have been very fortunate to dive and explore all over it and the diving there is truly exceptional, it is as pristine as you will find anywhere. Even the 'heavily' dived reefs get as many divers in a year as a reef in say Grand Cayman gets in a weekend.

PNG was THE hotspot as far as diving was concerned a few years ago but for some reason it seems to have dropped down behind Raja. The whole country, not just the diving side, is as pristine as anywhere in the world. Of that there is no doubt. I have been very fortunate to dive and explore all over it and the diving there is truly exceptional, it is as pristine as you will find anywhere. Even the 'heavily' dived reefs get as many divers in a year as a reef in say Grand Cayman gets in a weekend.

I agree about PNG. The most pristine diving is found in areas with low population density and surrounded by deep water. Then you have to pray that there's no commercial fishing operations, and if your prayers are answered, you will find the best diving. PNG is still fits this description to a large degree, in addition, there 3 major ocean currents which converge there and there is some of the highest species diversity anywhere. The last large-1m-fish discovered was a nocturnal bamboo shark which was found in 2001 in Madang harbor.

Been all over PNG, best diving I've ever done, including Komodo, Alor and Ambon Indonesia, which are all close 2nds...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom