Private or Dedicated Guides / Spotters...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We tried to arrange a time to dive with Julio at his new shop, but it might be he is not actually doing trips anymore. We even asked about getting Julio as a private guide, but did not seem to be possible.
Spoke with Julio several times last week at the Marina. He is currently running his dive shop from a bodega at the Marina. I think he is negotiating to become the in house op at the Park Royal. He can be reached via his web site or WhatsApp +52 987 107 8924. If he doesn't respond contact 3P and I am sure Jeanie can set you up:D

Spoke with Julio several times last week at the Marina. He is currently running his dive shop from a bodega at the Marina.

Just looking to update a spreadsheet with current info: Is he completely out of Hotel Barracuda or still associated with them since he shows dive packages with the hotel on his webpage? Is the bodega at Marina Fonotur?

Just looking to update a spreadsheet with current info: Is he completely out of Hotel Barracuda or still associated with them since he shows dive packages with the hotel on his webpage? Is the bodega at Marina Fonotur?
He is out of Hotel Barracuda I believe the concession was picked up by Scuba Juan, He is currently running a semi virtual shop out of Fonotur, not a pirate operation, he has a boat with permits.

Thank you for all the helpful info! I found Julio Kin whose shop was before at Hotel Barracude.
He was AMAZING!!! You were all right - he really knows the reef and knows how to track and spot things big and small.
We saw from the tiniest nudibranchs to a cafe with both a 6 foot Moray and a huge turtle together next to each other.
He also found unique symbiotic life like juvenile brittle stars on soft coral (which I had never observed before - and my minor in college was Caribbean Reef Ecology).
He actively sought out Octopus gardens to see in a late afternoon dive if any were coming out to hunt a bit early.
He went out of his way to seek all sorts of things! He also managed the dive profile to see lots of different topology and to manage underwater time. I highly highly recommend him!!!!

It gives me great pains to write this. I tried to delete the review above but the system would not let me.
I would never want to say something negative about anyone. But I feel compelled given the glowing review I gave above.
After the wonderful day above with Julio Kin, I tried to make several more arrangements to dive with Julio Kin.
Julio kept changing schedules and cancelled on me twice last minute.
Then we made firm plans for today/Saturday (for a 3 day holiday weekend in the USA) and he also cancelled last minute. He offered someone else, but we had very specifically sought to dive with him given the recommendations here and elsewhere.
Instead of just being honest and saying that something or someone more important or better came up a few hours before our 2.15 pm boat departure, they made up all sorts of lame excuses and finger pointing (including trying to blame us!). It was sad and disappointing.
Not only myself, but a friend for whom today was his only dive day, lost out.
Going forward, I would be very careful both about relying on this operation or giving any advance deposits. I think you have to really be cautious with them. The day you lose could be your own.
Over the past week I have had over 14 dives including with Tres Pelicanos and Aldora. Going forward, my go to operation will definitely be Aldora. They are really a step above in every way.

Thank you for all the helpful info! I found Julio Kin whose shop was before at Hotel Barracude.
He was AMAZING!!! You were all right - he really knows the reef and knows how to track and spot things big and small.
We saw from the tiniest nudibranchs to a cafe with both a 6 foot Moray and a huge turtle together next to each other.
He also found unique symbiotic life like juvenile brittle stars on soft coral (which I had never observed before - and my minor in college was Caribbean Reef Ecology).
He actively sought out Octopus gardens to see in a late afternoon dive if any were coming out to hunt a bit early.
He went out of his way to seek all sorts of things! He also managed the dive profile to see lots of different topology and to manage underwater time. I highly highly recommend him!!!!

Also, whoever handles his email is completely disorganized (Kelli I think). Their communication was a disaster.
One would say 3 divers required the other 4 divers required.
One woudl agree to a trip, the other would say that they were not availalble.
Again, I fee like I have made a significant investment in trying to build a relationship with him and his operation (I still am in touch with the dive shop where I first did my training in 1986; and regularly return to dive ops I have worked with sine the 90s.
I would like to think that Julio had good intentions. I would NOT go through anyone else but him. Maybe you can get a better experience.

Just returned from Cozumel yesterday! Had 2 fantastic trips with Julio Cen ( Dive with Julio )! He and his captain "Ishi" have customer service wired. Great dives and small fast boat. First day there were 5 divers and second, only four of us. Amazing service!

We also did another mixed excursion (including two dives) and Rocky ( facebook https://www.facebook.com/uhhu84 ) was also amazing. He's a little harder to reach directly and we met him through Arturo ( Smiggie's Concierge Service facebook https://www.facebook.com/smiggiecozumel ). I also want to highly recommend Smiggie's Concierge Service if you are trying to put something together that no one else seems to be offering. Arturo doesn't just do diving, but he can include it!

Julio and Arturo at Smiggie's were both supremely responsive via facebook messenger.

I would easily recommend either divemaster for fantastic dive knowledge and customer service!

Please note that Julio Cen is a different guy than Julio Kin!

Had 2 fantastic trips with Julio Cen ( Dive with Julio )! He and his captain "Ishi" have customer service wired.

Glad you had a good time. Couple questions for you: Where did you meet for dives? Does he pick up at other hotel docks? Can gear be left with him if diving multiple days? Is dive time limited or can one dive their air?

Glad you had a good time. Couple questions for you: Where did you meet for dives? Does he pick up at other hotel docks? Can gear be left with him if diving multiple days? Is dive time limited or can one dive their air?
He does pick up at hotel piers. We stayed at Secrets Aura and he was able to pick us up on the pier. He'll handle gear if you're diving multiple days and you go until you hit 750. If that takes 1:30, so be it. He never put us on the clock.

The second day we dived with him we wanted to see something that the other pair with us had seen the day before. Julio just brought along another dive master for them (he did not charge any more). They sort of did a "donut" around our dive. He put them out, they were doing a shallow reef dive, and we were diving deeper in the same immediate vicinity. By the time we were done and gear stowed, the other pair were about 5 minutes from surfacing. Julio and Ishi (and "Big Julio") did a great job.

Although not private per se, the most divers we had on boat was 5. Least was 4.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom