Private rescue class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spc751

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to do a rescue class soon and would like some comments.

One option is to do the class with my lds (ssi). This is $350 plus book, plus card if I want a card. I do not trust their training but it would be easy to take the course and a poor course is better than nothing.

Option two is a private class at a shop (padi) in another city. I really like the training provided in this shop but the only way I can do the course is as a private class as they do the regular class over two weeks (4 evenings and 1 full weekend). The private class is $600 but includes everything (equipment, book, card, efr, o2).

I do not mind spending the extra money and I know I would be getting a lot more for my money, however, will I be missing something by not taking it with other students?

I'm no expert, but I would say no. You'd have to do all the skills with your private instructor as the victim-- who would obviously do a great job playing that role. I would also guess that since there are so many possible rescue scenarios in real life that not being in a class with 3-4 others wouldn't make a difference. As a former teacher, I would say that one on one instruction is probably way better than group--for any activity. Obviously there would have to be others present for the final open water scenarios.

Come down to SoCal & Catalina Island for the best most comprehensive Rescue Diver Course:
Diving Emergencies.

Only Knowledge, Skill, and Practice resolve them. You get all three from the Emergency Response Diver course. The Emergency Response Diver program focuses on practical field experience - what can and should be done at the scene of a diving casualty.

You will learn:

The best way to handle a victim in the water.
How to administer effective CPR and first aid.
The techniques to use for beach and boat rescues.
How to make the best use of emergency oxygen.
How to efficiently manage the diving accident scene.
Specific methods for aiding victims of hypothermia, near-drowning, and other diving medical maladies.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

The Emergency Response Diver course is field-orientated. You'll spend most of your time at, near, or in the water practicing rescues; or in small groups mastering first aid, CPR, and emergency oxygen use. You'll learn how to direct people at a diving casualty scene, how to communicate effectively with rescue and emergency medical personnel, and how to coordinate transportation. You will apply what you learn in practical and realistic field simulations.

Continuing Education

Certifications for First Aid, CPR, AED, Oxygen Administration, and Rescue Diver are included with the course. 24 CMEs are available for DMTs

Accommodations

Accommodations and meals are included in the ERD tuition. ERD participants will be housed in the Wrigley Institute for Environmental Studies dorm rooms and apartments. Meals are served in the Institute's cafeteria.

Tuition

The $675 fee for ERD covers tuition, room and board (Sunday pm - Friday noon). The course is restricted to 16 students. A $100 deposit is required to reserve a spot in the class. Refunds must be requested in writing. No refunds are issued after one month prior to the start of the class!

USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber
USC Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber

Last edited:
Stress and Rescue has First Aid and CPR certificate as a prerequisite so add in the cost for that which will reduce the gap in price.

I'd spend the money. In my rescue class I spent a lot of time waiting, only once did I need the break.

Bob

It depends on how the shop runs the course. Personally, I don't offer private rescue classes. Part of the experience is in working with other divers on the rescues. I also run a scenario based rescue class in which all scenarios are unannounced. They just happen. It would be difficult to do that in a private class. The more students the better.

It depends on how the shop runs the course. Personally, I don't offer private rescue classes. Part of the experience is in working with other divers on the rescues. I also run a scenario based rescue class in which all scenarios are unannounced. They just happen. It would be difficult to do that in a private class. The more students the better.
Tried it once and it just dosen't work for my course for the same reasons Rob mentioned.

See if they would consider trying a different schedule. They may be surprised and some of their own students may sign up because it more meets their availability.

Thanks for the help. I prefer to take a group class but I do not know if it will happen.

I asked the shop if I could do elearning for the theory and join the class for the water training. The shop does private classes for efr and o2 so I could do that as well. They suggested doing the whole class private.

I have taken four other private courses from this shop and am happy with them but I am not sure if I would be missing too much in a private rescue class.

My rescue class involved shadowing several confined dive OW classes. After the OW students left, we critiqued the class and identified the potential problems and discussed solutions for for those issues. I found this process very enlightening. I now spend time on every dive analyzing the other divers. I have seen some great divers that just earned their c-card and divers on advanced dives that had no clue.

The other reason I analyze is to try and make certain that I am not the poorest diver in the group. As my instructor told me after finishing the Rescue class, "Don't go out and embarrass me by doing something stupid."

I actually think you would miss a great deal by doing a private class. Rescue really is about managing real situations, and in a real situation, you are going to have to handle a number of people, some of whom will understand better than others what needs to be done. And the more bodies involved, the more chaos ensues . . . I would very highly recommend taking a class, even if you aren't thrilled with the quality, with a group of people. Having been involved in several rescue attempt situations, I know quite well what actually happens.

Been 20 years since I did my Rescue course but I remember it well as it was one of the most enjoyable courses as far as learning about diving that I ever did. This course was done over 6 weeks at the weekends and involved many of the instructor's OW/AOW/DM students covering many scenarios, which would be impossible to do over a weekend.

I would encourage you to look for a course that takes more than a weekend and involves more people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom