Pro-5000 Diver How Many On Board? When Awarded?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure Pete dives. I spend time with him at trade shows, work shops, parties, dinners, but I haven't seen him in gear. There is a rumor he may want to come dive and tag along or help out with my next cave class.

IMG_5424.jpg
Now, THAT'S an impressive lineup by itself. Don't know the middle guy, but am well acquainted with the other two.

Took me a while to find the photo, but being acquainted seems to be a common thing. You never know who you are going to run into when you are down in cave country.

I was nominated by Joe Gaydeski, owner of Open Water Adventures in Charlotte NC, and by Tom Jefferies, Instructor Examiner for SSI. To answer the question of how does an instructor reach such high numbers, well its really not that difficult. If you consider it takes 4 check out dives to become certified, an Instructor would only have to certify 1,250 students and he would reach 5000 dives himself. Plus, I dive 7 days a week year round. Minus Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving, I stay wet. Christmas and Easter for the obvious reasons, and Thanksgiving is the heart of deer season, and to be honest, I have to have my priorities straight. God-Family-Slaying Bambi-Scuba Diving. Also as stated, 2,500 dives and a significant contribution to the dive industry is another possible way to receive the award.
So you only dive 1:1 ratios with ssi for ow checkouts? Interesting.

If ssi counts every ssi ow diver certified as 4 dives for the plat pro 5000..they can have mine back. Because no instructor does only 1:1 ratios.
Is that really the formula they are using for ssi instructors? Wow

So you only dive 1:1 ratios with ssi for ow checkouts? Interesting.

No, although come to think of it, it's definitely not a bad thing in my book, just explaining one way a diver (instructor) could reach 5000 dives. For the record, my student count is only in the high 700's, and that is including all 5 of the agencies I teach through combined. I'm sure though, if you feel that strongly about the subject, the Platinum Pro Foundation would be happy to revoke yours if you just ask them. Let us know how it works out for you. Like you said, Interesting?

Last edited:
Because no instructor does only 1:1 ratios.
Most of my classes are one to one. It's the best way for me.

No, although come to think of it, it's definitely not a bad thing in my book, just explaining one way a diver (instructor) could reach 5000 dives. For the record, my student count is only in the high 700's, and that is including all 5 of the agencies I teach through combined. I'm sure though, if you feel that strongly about the subject, the Platinum Pro Foundation would be happy to revoke yours if you just ask them. Let us know how it works out for you. Like you said, Interesting?
that was a non answer. Do thy count that way or not?

It wouldn't be a revoke it I return it.

Quite simply, they publish a criteria to get it, if they have a hidden formula, non public manner to award SSI instructors that don't meet the PUBLIC published criteria then there is a serious lack of ethics involved in the award.

that was a non answer. Do thy count that way or not?

It wouldn't be a revoke it I return it.

Quite simply, they publish a criteria to get it, if they have a hidden formula, non public manner to award SSI instructors that don't meet the PUBLIC published criteria then there is a serious lack of ethics involved in the award.

cerich, I truthfully don't have an answer for you in regards to the point system, here is screen shot of my profile with SSI showing the points system, but not quite sure how it works in detail. Currently I have 1,991 experience points, whatever that is worth. And all I was trying to do, was to give some insight to others on how someone could reach such a high number of dives, by giving an example of say an instructor who teaches in the tropics or a diver such as myself that dives 7 days a week, teaching or working underwater. I guess I found it ironic that you didn't seem happy that you were a member of the Platinum Pros, I guess I miss read the tone of your post. All I can tell you is, when I was nominated, it was a surprise to me. I knew that the award existed, but never considered myself eligible for it even though I had reached the dives. I feel pretty confident that SSI works off the honor system, and if a diver says he has a said number of dives, then well, he has a said number of dives. Just like if one of my students signed up for a Divemaster course, and had to show proof of 60 dives. I look at their proof, what ever it might be, but I don't go to much into detail, and go over every single dive in their log book with a fine tooth comb. I don't get paid enough to do that, come to think of it, I don't get paid at all. The way I see it, if a diver lies about his experience, then that is on him or her. I have met my requirements as their instructor, simply by documenting what proof they provide to me and placed it in their student file.

I guess I should add, just because the Platinum Pro Foundation and SSI are linked, I don't believe that SSI controls who is inducted in, or that the points are even related to the process. I know a small group of PADI Instructors, whom are in no way shape or form affiliated with SSI, who are Platinum Pro 5000 members.

Untitled.jpg

I could see a training dive being worth more than just a dive for an instructor. @cerich does it really matter one way or the other? They obviously have a card JUST for diving, a card JUST for instructors and a card JUST for people who contribute to diving. What's the dealeo, yo? They are encouraging people to get out and DO SOMETHING in regards to diving. That's enough. That's more than many do.

I could see a training dive being worth more than just a dive for an instructor. @cerich does it really matter one way or the other? They obviously have a card JUST for diving, a card JUST for instructors and a card JUST for people who contribute to diving. What's the dealeo, yo? They are encouraging people to get out and DO SOMETHING in regards to diving. That's enough. That's more than many do.
No Pete, if they have a special program that runs different criteria for SSI instructors to be awarded the Plat Pro 5000 that are different than the publicly published criteria, it's wrong.

No Pete, if they have a special program that runs different criteria for SSI instructors to be awarded the Plat Pro 5000 that are different than the publicly published criteria, it's wrong.
All three criteria are published. They all have slightly different names too. You're outraged over nothing, nada and squat, in precisely that order. Find another windmill to tilt at.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom