Pro Dive Cozumel Allegro Opinions, Night Dives, and Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GloryDayz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'll be doing 6 nights in Coz at the Allegro that has a Pro Dive International onsite. Probably not news to anybody... But if I may ask:

1) General opinions of the operation?

2) Night dives, I want to do two, but I want to know if, like Dive House, they don't end up happening?

3) Given that we plan to dive a lot, will they mix the juice to more than 32%?

Oh, 4) Has anybody done their Cenote excursion? I want to do that too.. :)

You should post this in the Cozumel section instead and you’ll get lots of replies and information. I never dove with them but they’re a bigger operator with a large boats. If you want a small group (6 divers max) with fast boats check out Aldora. They’re one of the best shops on the island and will pick you up on the way down south. They’ll give you 32% on the first dive and 36% on the 2nd and use large steel 120 tanks so most dives average 80-85 minutes.

1. I've dived with them in July, they ran three boats and groups were separated by the depths that they wanted to dive. I had no issues. Pro Dive doesn't really need fast boats as their docks aren't that far from the popular southern reefs.

2. I didn't do a night dive the last time, I am scheduled to do one this time in March.

3. Never asked about other mixes.

4. Yes, they meet you outside the ferry terminal in PDC, and it is the typical 4 divers to one guide, following the guide into a water filled hole in the ground. Not much to describe, the service won't be as personalized as a place that specializes in Cenote tours. We did El Eden and Taj Maha (sp?), El Eden was ok, but I enjoyed Taj Maha.

1. I've dived with them in July, they ran three boats and groups were separated by the depths that they wanted to dive. I had no issues. Pro Dive doesn't really need fast boats as their docks aren't that far from the popular southern reefs.

2. I didn't do a night dive the last time, I am scheduled to do one this time in March.

3. Never asked about other mixes.

4. Yes, they meet you outside the ferry terminal in PDC, and it is the typical 4 divers to one guide, following the guide into a water filled hole in the ground. Not much to describe, the service won't be as personalized as a place that specializes in Cenote tours. We did El Eden and Taj Maha (sp?), El Eden was ok, but I enjoyed Taj Maha.

Awesome. And we'll be there (the Allegro) March 16th-23rd...

LOL I'll be there the 15ths through the 18th, and doing Cenotes on the 19th.

We stayed at Allegro and dove with prodive for a week in early October. The resort is less frills than higher end (and higher priced) AI's we have stayed at. However I was there to dive, so with 4 dives everyday except 2 I didnt spend much time with the amenities. My wife did not dive and was pleased with the quality of service and tickled they actually Captain Morgan. The food was mediocre, as has been my experience in every AI of every price range. The superior room is actually their base room package. Superior premium is next. Then First club suites. We were booked to superior premium and they upgraded our rooms to First club. Spacious, clean rooms, mini bar stock rd d regularly. Access to bathrooms and self serve bar and finger food 100 yards from dive shop and rooms closest to ocean. To be honest it's about what I expected as it was one of the cheapest options for AI in cozumel. It was clean, staff were friendly, amenities were less than other places on Cozumel and elsewhere we have been but the price reflected that. The beach was phenomenal for my non diving wife. Beaches that nice aren't found up towards town. We were pleased with the value we received and would stay again. My son and myself both dove with prodive for a total of 25 dives each in 6 days. We had Karina as our DM for most dives and she was great. Always ascended on dsmb to safety stop, dsmb deployed by DM, you ascended as a buddy team when you or your buddy reached 700 psi. Always carried my own dsmb, but DM preferred to deploy theirs so they could insure location of all divers in group. The Rest of group continued until they reached their own air limit. Knowledgeable about sites and conditions. Flexable on adjustment to dive plan based on skills and wants of group doing dive. Average groups were 4:1 ratio. They accommodated our needs fairly well including rental of 15l tank from another shop for me (6'7 250lbs air hog). I went from averaging 50 min on the 12l to 65-70min dives with a bit more reserve nitrox as a safety buffer. Dive depth averaged 65 to 95 ft. I hit 99ft on 1 dive to check out a shark, but I dont care to dive deeper for just the sake of being deep. We did have to stop off occasionally to pick up or drop off divers in between dives. The thing is its 15 min max to 90% of the dive sites on west side, so it was done during our surface interval and no imposition. Boat staff and captain were always accommodating and friendly, thanks Taco. All in all I was pleased with the dive experience. While it wasnt valet diving there was good value in the diving. Night dive needs 4 people to go, me and my son and a pair of friends we met guaranteed it went. Believe they are available 2 or possibly 3 evenings a week.

We stayed at Allegro and dove with prodive for a week in early October. The resort is less frills than higher end (and higher priced) AI's we have stayed at. However I was there to dive, so with 4 dives everyday except 2 I didnt spend much time with the amenities. My wife did not dive and was pleased with the quality of service and tickled they actually Captain Morgan. The food was mediocre, as has been my experience in every AI of every price range. The superior room is actually their base room package. Superior premium is next. Then First club suites. We were booked to superior premium and they upgraded our rooms to First club. Spacious, clean rooms, mini bar stock rd d regularly. Access to bathrooms and self serve bar and finger food 100 yards from dive shop and rooms closest to ocean. To be honest it's about what I expected as it was one of the cheapest options for AI in cozumel. It was clean, staff were friendly, amenities were less than other places on Cozumel and elsewhere we have been but the price reflected that. The beach was phenomenal for my non diving wife. Beaches that nice aren't found up towards town. We were pleased with the value we received and would stay again. My son and myself both dove with prodive for a total of 25 dives each in 6 days. We had Karina as our DM for most dives and she was great. Always ascended on dsmb to safety stop, dsmb deployed by DM, you ascended as a buddy team when you or your buddy reached 700 psi. Always carried my own dsmb, but DM preferred to deploy theirs so they could insure location of all divers in group. The Rest of group continued until they reached their own air limit. Knowledgeable about sites and conditions. Flexable on adjustment to dive plan based on skills and wants of group doing dive. Average groups were 4:1 ratio. They accommodated our needs fairly well including rental of 15l tank from another shop for me (6'7 250lbs air hog). I went from averaging 50 min on the 12l to 65-70min dives with a bit more reserve nitrox as a safety buffer. Dive depth averaged 65 to 95 ft. I hit 99ft on 1 dive to check out a shark, but I dont care to dive deeper for just the sake of being deep. We did have to stop off occasionally to pick up or drop off divers in between dives. The thing is its 15 min max to 90% of the dive sites on west side, so it was done during our surface interval and no imposition. Boat staff and captain were always accommodating and friendly, thanks Taco. All in all I was pleased with the dive experience. While it wasnt valet diving there was good value in the diving. Night dive needs 4 people to go, me and my son and a pair of friends we met guaranteed it went. Believe they are available 2 or possibly 3 evenings a week.

Thanks. Were you able to order your Nitrox mix?

WiFi? It's kind of must for me. So how much more for having it in the room?

Like you, my wife doesn't dive, so it's my son and me. He's 14, but AOD and Nitrox certified (and a hockey goalie), so he's plenty fix. Heck I hope I can keep up with him! :)

You should post this in the Cozumel section instead and you’ll get lots of replies and information. I never dove with them but they’re a bigger operator with a large boats. If you want a small group (6 divers max) with fast boats check out Aldora. They’re one of the best shops on the island and will pick you up on the way down south. They’ll give you 32% on the first dive and 36% on the 2nd and use large steel 120 tanks so most dives average 80-85 minutes.

Can a mod hook me up and move it to the Coz section please?

And I might look into Aldora, that sounds great.

Never tried to order other than 32%. Didnt need to as I'm limited by gas not NFL. I dive a suunto so its conservative. With our profiles, even doing 4 dives a day I didnt push my Ndl. So I didn't feel a need to alter my mixes.mixed. Most first dives were 70 to 95' with 60' second dives. My son is 15 and is a swimmer, so in fit as well. Hardest part is getting them to relax and not work so that I dont have to worry about keeping up. That's the beauty of drift diving, relax and go with the flow. It helps that I was a swimmer and even though I'm old and out of shape, I can still out swim him lol. Enjoy the trip with your son. We will be back for 2 weeks in July, 159 days

Never tried to order other than 32%. Didnt need to as I'm limited by gas not NFL. I dive a suunto so its conservative. With our profiles, even doing 4 dives a day I didnt push my Ndl. So I didn't feel a need to alter my mixes.mixed. Most first dives were 70 to 95' with 60' second dives. My son is 15 and is a swimmer, so in fit as well. Hardest part is getting them to relax and not work so that I dont have to worry about keeping up. That's the beauty of drift diving, relax and go with the flow. It helps that I was a swimmer and even though I'm old and out of shape, I can still out swim him lol. Enjoy the trip with your son. We will be back for 2 weeks in July, 159 days

We dive Suunto Cobras, so yes, the NDL shall not be tested.. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom