Pro Diver sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm curious how they determined how deep the boat is.

I'm curious how they determined how deep the boat is.

I would either call it a sonar unit or a GPS unit. I am sure the Captain of the B&B would have marked the pickup point (Way point) of passengers. Pretty simple then to either look at the depth finder right then, or go back later and look at the way point on a map and see the contour lines.

Wouldn't be surprised if the pickup boat didn't have side scan sonar either. After all it IS a professional dive boat.

I would either call it a sonar unit or a GPS unit. I am sure the Captain of the B&B would have marked the pickup point (Way point) of passengers. Pretty simple then to either look at the depth finder right then, or go back later and look at the way point on a map and see the contour lines.

Wouldn't be surprised if the pickup boat didn't have side scan sonar either. After all it IS a professional dive boat.
IF the boat sank straight down. But non-spherical objects (like a boat) tend to "glide" off the vertical. And if there were any currents ...
So presumably depths are estimates at best.

I was scheduled to dive on this boat in a month. Any word on what caused it to sink?
This incident sure opened up the thought process on how one would prepare for such a situation.
Thanks,

---------- Post added July 27th, 2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

Any word on what caused it to sink?

---------- Post added July 27th, 2014 at 06:42 PM ----------

It filled up with water and could no longer float.

Back
Top Bottom