Pro QD i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chile7236

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
pros:

big pockets
enough "D" rings for the avg diver
no "anaconda like" squeeze when inflated
stable at depth
the i3 lever is very nice
streamlined since there is no corrugated inflator hose (octo tucks into the pocket nice and close to the body)
stable (no tank wobble, didn't feel loose on me at depth)
excellent integrated weight system. easy install/removal...even the BDC is worn

cons:

if you have to bend over, the pockets are kinda in the way (to be honest, i don't remember the last time i "bent over" to grab something while in the water).
the inflator hose feels flimsy (and is not easy to tuck away when the bcd is on)

overall:

i have not worn a jacket style bcd since getting certified 12 yrs ago...and there was a reason. the squeeze and poor fit. that being said, had i known then what i know now (try before you buy...even when renting), maybe my initial bad impression of jackets might have been a lot different.

i really like the pro qd. i believe the cons are very negligible here and while i know most are BP/W wing fanatics, this is a very good BC for the avg diver and even those that do a little more than jump in the water to look at fish. the i3 will still be a topic of debate amongst most of the older crowd but i like it...i think the pro qd i3 "comes off as a better i3 bcd" than the dimension i3.

i am contemplating selling my knighthawk now :idk:

Last edited:
I have a Pro QD i3 and there is a velcro attachment by the tank band to retain the hose out of the way.

yes, that is very handy but the hose i am referring to is the oral inflate. it feels very flimsy.

I dived with a buddy wearing one today, looked great. I wear a mares dragon AT and on a few of the features I preferred the Pro QD, especially how the left pocket is still very useful and the weight pouch is more compact, so it doesn't stack up block weights making it hard to load the pockets after your already wearing the bcd- easier to do it that way, installing weights just before your buddy check.
We talked about both of the manual inflator setups on them and agreed that younger divers might be a little bit aggressive to own either of these bcd's, but even if you did breach the bladder, you could simply dump your weights and surface, then go get it repaired, but the ease of use of this style of inflation devise will eventually be mainstream in a few more seasons of their increasing proliferation. I don't like the cressi setup as much as either of these two models Bcds.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom