probably the same light question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sh0ck1999

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I know probably been asked a trillion times.... What light or lights to get

I have a GoPro 8 that I'm still getting used to. I plan on putting it on a tray with balljoints and dual arms. I am looking for lights that won't break the bank I'm thinking 600 ish for the pair? Less would be nice. I dive exclusively freshwater lots of green lake water but also get to the great lakes for wreck diving. Have a week long wreck diving trip scheduled in July at isle royale as long as this covid BS doesn't F that up too. Would like something to help light up during penetration and on the outside of the wreck. Also it has to have user replaceable batteries that I can have spares of. I looked at the Sola 2500 flood cause there's good deals right now but 50 min burn time with 1.5hr charge time doesn't jive with three dives a day.

I currently run two of the Orcatorch 910v lights. They are a charging type light but mine have lasted for three dives on a day without charging. I really enjoy these lights although I have not been able to use them much because I have been teaching more than I have been fun diving.

Gear Review OrcaTorch 910V 5000 Lumen

I know probably been asked a trillion times.... What light or lights to get

I have a GoPro 8 that I'm still getting used to. I plan on putting it on a tray with balljoints and dual arms. I am looking for lights that won't break the bank I'm thinking 600 ish for the pair?

Researching lights is difficult because you get so many different opinions and recommendations. I can only add that I researched a similar setup myself (GoPro on tray with dual lights/arms) I ended up with two Bigblue Black Molly 3 lights. Bought them for the combination of being very compact and fairly powerful (2600 lumens each), with wide beam angle, good burn time (2h at highest light setting, you usually won't need highest setting) at very reasonable price. It has removable batteries so you can use spare battery instead of charging on long dive days. I have been very happy with them (the video in the recent post "Diving video from Phuket - feedback welcome" is shot with these lights, you can see an underwater shot of the setup at the end of the dive and the size of the light in my hand on the dive boat just after. Edit: remember to switch Youtube playback to HD1080 quality :).

I would encourage you to buy something in at least the 5000 lumen range if you want to shoot wide or illuminate wreck interiors. Anything less will not be sufficiently powerful for anything but macro shooting and you will be disappointed with the results and end up upgrading down the line. There are lots of great sales going on right now due to the lockdown. Check out backscatter and optical ocean sales to start with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom