Probe Frogskins--Best Dive Skins Yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they get baggy when under water. This is no no as it not only adds drag but also interfere with normal buoyancy control.
I've used a lavacore on and off for 4 years now and I don't think I've ever had that problem. When I don't need more warmth than the lavacore can provide, it's my go to exposure protection. When I do, neoprene shorty+lavacore still beats a thicker full wetsuit by a country mile. I've also used my lavacore as a drysuit undergarment many times with good results.

Frogskin sounds interesting. After hearing similar claims about sharkskin I think I will reserve judgement for now. Those turned out to be BS since (as you accurately noted) sharkskin and lavacore are virtually identical.

When Frogskin starts showing up in dive shops, I'll definitely check one out. I don't think I'll be importing them myself before then.

I've used a lavacore on and off for 4 years now and I don't think I've ever had that problem.

I have the Lavacore sleeveless full suit. When it's dry, it's definitely tight everywhere. Once it's wet, it's definitely a little loose/floppy/baggy around my lower legs. It's great under a wetsuit, but swimming in it with no wetsuit over it is not something I especially enjoy. I did my original OW swim test in the pool, wearing just that Lavacore, and it was annoying to swim that far in it because of how the leg floppiness affected kicking.

I'm new here. So, "Hi." :)

I was looking at Lavacore products and noticed that many sizes were unavailable/discontinued at online retailers.

I wrote LavacoreInternational.com, inquiring whether that was due to a new product line coming out or whether they were going out of business. The reply I got was, "...Oceanic and Hollis are no longer selling Lavacore..."

Looks like a casualty of the Huish acquisition, which also distributes Sharkskin. Not sure whether another company is picking up the Lavacore brand, so if someone stumbles across this thread like I did and likes having something by Lavacore you might look for a deal on it; soon. FYI...

Personally, I'm still looking for something thin and stretchy that's more substantial/warmer than lycra and which can be worn solo or fit under/bolster a 3mm. Preferably neutrally buoyant.

Personally, I'm still looking for something thin and stretchy that's more substantial/warmer than lycra and which can be worn solo or fit under/bolster a 3mm. Preferably neutrally buoyant.

It sounds like you are taking the approach of, when you want more than a skin, then you want something like Lavacore. Then, if you need more, go to a 3mm. And if you need even more, 3mm and Lavacore-like garment together.

My thought is, if you want more than a skin, why not go directly to the 3mm (or a 3/2)? Then, if you still want more, wear a Lavacore under that, which makes it pretty much like wearing a 5mm.

That's what I do. If the water is cool enough to want more than a skin, it's hard for me to imagine being too warm in a 3mm. I don't like swimming in the Lavacore by itself, but under a wetsuit it is very nice.

I have the Lavacore sleeveless full suit. When it's dry, it's definitely tight everywhere. Once it's wet, it's definitely a little loose/floppy/baggy around my lower legs. It's great under a wetsuit, but swimming in it with no wetsuit over it is not something I especially enjoy. I did my original OW swim test in the pool, wearing just that Lavacore, and it was annoying to swim that far in it because of how the leg floppiness affected kicking.
I have lavacore pants and they fit the same wet or dry.

Hi,

I was looking on the Probe website, and they also have something called the Insulator - www.probewetsuits.com/shop/category.asp?Cat=15 Do you know how they stack up against the Frogskin? I was really thinking I was going to go with Sharkskin, but now thinking I'll go with the Frogskin or the Insulator.

Thanks!
Shannon
Hi the insulator does not have the quick dry lining like the frogskins. So I think the frogs will be warmer

I'm glad this thread came back to life. I have been considering getting a new 5mm wetsuit. One warmer than what I have now. Now, I am looking at the Probe iDry 5mm. Looks like it would be nice and warm, in and out of the water.

What I have been considering is the latest ScubaPro EverFlex 5/4mm, as it has the DiamondSpan lining that my current (older) EverFlex does not have. I have some SP boots with the DiamondSpan lining, and they are really warm.

The Probe fleece lining looks very comparable to the ScubaPro DiamondSpan except I guess it would dry a lot quicker. My SP boots definitely do not dry on the inside particularly quickly.

Reactions: ojo
Is there a substantive difference between the probe frog skin and the pinnacle inferno suit (touted as being lined with merino)? Inferno & FZ

I ask because there are occasionally great deals on the pinnacle suit, but I don't know anyone who has dived with it.

Back
Top Bottom