Problem equalizing ears

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kopikum

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying to get better at freediving but I have a problem, I'm unable to equalize my ears, when i do the valvsala the only thing that happens is my ears get full of air (once I swallow they pop and the air leaves)
The only way I can seem to equalize is by swallowing, but its hard to swallow at will and even more with the dehidratation of the salt sea

Any idea what could I try?

Valsalva does nothing for me, but if I point my ear at the sky, and repeat for the other ear, it works.

Hello,

when i do the valvsala the only thing that happens is my ears get full of air

Isn't that what's supposed to happen? Sounds like you're just overdoing it.

Isn't that what's supposed to happen? Sounds like you're just overdoing it.
Speaking for myself, but if I hold my nose and blow, the only effect is one of increased pressure in the ears. It does not cause them to equalize at all. That sounds like what is happening to the OP.

Interestingly, if I blow out of one nostril and intermittently block the other, it does equalize. Obviously there's something in my physiology that needs an asymmetrical movement or pressure.

Hello,

I've been trying to get better at freediving but I have a problem, I'm unable to equalize my ears, when i do the valvsala the only thing that happens is my ears get full of air (once I swallow they pop and the air leaves)
The only way I can seem to equalize is by swallowing, but its hard to swallow at will and even more with the dehidratation of the salt sea

I can get my left ear to clear easily via Valsalva, but my right ear requires I use the Lowry method (Valsalva plus swallowing). At first it would take conscious effort to swallow. With a bit of practice it became second nature and now I can clear my ears very easily and with nary a second thought. My suggestion would be to just keep practicing and it will quickly get much easier.

You must learn how to sense when equalisation occurs and stop blowing before overpressure occurs. That's all there is.

Now, if you are playing around with equalisation on dry land, of course your ears will get full of air. Starting from an already equalized state any attempt will pump excess air into the middle ear.

You will find that the ease of equalisation varies continuously. There seems to be very complicated plumbing around the Eustachian tubes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom